The Dayton Playhouse is pleased to announce auditions for it’s first musical of the 63rd
season, the Sondheim classic, INTO THE WOODS, directed by Tina McPhearson.
Auditions Dates are November 8th and 9th at 7pm at the Dayton Playhouse, 1301
All who audition should prepare the following:
- One song showing your vocal range
- Dress comfortable for some easy movement
- Show proof of Covid-19 vaccination
- List of all conflicts between Nov. 15-Dec. 30
- Wear mask when not auditioning
- Practice social distancing
Performance Dates are Jan. 14-30, 2022. Please note that rehearsals will take place over
Director Tina McPhearson will be looking to fill the following roles:
Into The Woods Character Descriptions
Please note: some of the character parts may be doubled.
- Narrator: age 25-70. Intelligent and pleasant storyteller, who leads the audience through
the entire show.
- Mysterious Man: Male, age 50-75. Vocal Range: G2-EFlat 4. A mischievous vagrant with
- Cinderella: Female, age 20 to 30. Vocal range top: G5. Vocal range bottom: G3. A young,
earnest maiden who is constantly mistreated by her stepmother and stepsisters.
- Jack: Male, age 20 to 30. Vocal range top: G4. Vocal range bottom: B2. The feckless giant
killer who is ‘almost a man.’ He is adventurous, naive, energetic, and bright-eyed.
- Jack’s Mother: Female, age 50 to 65. Vocal range top: Gb5. Vocal range bottom: Bb3.
Browbeating and weary, Jack’s protective mother who is independent, bold, and strong-
- The Baker: Male, age 35 to 55. Vocal range top: G4. Vocal range bottom: Ab2. A harried
and insecure baker who is simple and loving, yet protective of his family. He wants his wife
to be happy and is willing to do anything to ensure her happiness but refuses to let others
fight his battles.
- The Baker’s Wife: Female, age: 35 to 45. Vocal range top: G5. Vocal range bottom: F3.
Determined and bright woman who wishes to be a mother. She leads a simple yet satisfying
life and is very low maintenance yet proactive in her endeavors.
- Cinderella’s Stepmother: Female, age 40 to 65. Vocal range top: F#5. Vocal range
bottom: A3. The mean-spirited, demanding stepmother of Cinderella.
- Florinda And Lucinda: Female, 25 to 35. Vocal range top: Ab5. Vocal range bottom: C4.
Cinderella’s stepsisters who are black of heart. They follow in their mother’s footsteps of
- Little Red Riding Hood: Female, age 15 to 20. Vocal range top: F5. Vocal range bottom:
Bb3. A spoiled young girl who is strong-willed, quick-witted, fearless, yet youthful and naive.
- The Witch: Female, age 40 to 55. Vocal range top: G5. Vocal range bottom: F3. Sarcastic,
ugly then-gorgeous, obsessive protector of Rapunzel who is straightforward and aggressive.
- Cinderella’s Mother: Female, age 40 to 55. Vocal range top: F4. Vocal range bottom: E4.
Deceased with her soul guarding and aiding her daughter from a tree.
- Wolf/Cinderella’s Prince: Male, age 25-45. Vocal range top: Gb4. Vocal range bottom:
Bb2. Wolf: Hungry and insatiable hunter who takes advantage of the weak by misleading
and captivating his prey. Prince: Vain and gorgeous, he is a disloyal lover who is currently
searching for the next new, exciting thing.
- Rapunzel: Female, age 20 to 30. Vocal range top: A5. Vocal range bottom: B3. A loopy-but
lovely maiden who is sheltered by the Witch and terribly lonely. She yearns to experience
- Rapunzel’s Prince: Male, age 25-45. Vocal range top: E4. Vocal range bottom: C#3. Just
as vain and gorgeous as his Prince brother, he is always chasing the newest, most exiting
- The Steward: Male, age 30 to 50. Vocal range: Ensemble singer. A manservant who is
used to doing whatever he has to solve a problem. His only care is to please his master or
the strongest personality in the room. Conniving, callous and cowardly.
- Cinderella’s Father: Male, age 50+. Vocal range: Ensemble singer. Out of touch with his
family but harmless and well-meaning. No solo singing
- GIANT (Voice over Only)
- GRANNY: Female, 40-75. (Only in one small scene and can double as Cinderella’s Mother)
- SNOW WHITE: Female, 20-30, Princess who diverts the attention of Rapunzel’s Prince
(only on at end of show)
- SLEEPING BEAUTY: Female, 20-30 Princess who divert the attention of Rapunzel’s Prince
(only on at end of show)