Friday, October 14 – 7:00 PM
Aronoff Center – Jarson-Kaplan Theater
Tickets on sale Thursday, September 1 at 10:00 AM
CINCINNATI, OH – Award-winning Artist/Poet Annie Ruth and the Cincinnati Arts Association are proud to present Dada Rafiki: I see you sister, one of the most inspirational multicultural celebrations of music, dance, and song in Cincinnati, at the Aronoff Center’s intimate Jarson-Kaplan Theater on Friday, October 14 at 7:00 PM.
Tickets are $22.25 in advance | $32.25 at the door, and are on sale Thursday, September 1 at 10:00 AM at www.CincinnatiArts.org, (513) 621-2787 [ARTS], and the Aronoff Center Ticket Office.
In 2005, Annie Ruth created Dada Rafiki as a solo exhibition, which was exhibited at the Arts Consortium of Cincinnati and the Cincinnati Museum Center as a way of honoring women from all walks of life in the Tri-state area who make an impact in our community. Since then, she has garnered the support of other artists in the community to honor both women and men. “Dada Rafiki,” which means Sister Friend in the Kiswahili language of Eastern Africa, has honored nearly 140 women over the past ten years and donated priceless art collections to schools and non-profit organizations to benefit the public in conjunction with the celebration.
“Dada Rafiki is a way of continuously honoring the spirit of many positive servants in our community and allowing the public to benefit from the universal power of art,” said Ruth.
This year’s event is themed “I see you sister“ and honors remarkable women who, even though they often serve behind the scenes, have established a legacy of giving within Greater Cincinnati. A special “Baba of Honor” will also be recognized during the event. Annie Ruth will serve as the host/emcee of this engaging and interactive evening, with featured performances by Spoken Soul Artist JaHipster, the Cultural Centre of India, Todd O’Neal and Friends, and Ed “Sax” Thomas & Company, with a special guest appearance from Carla Cook, Jazz vocalist and 2016 Taft Museum of Art Duncanson Artist-in-Residence.
Dada Rafiki: I see you sister Honorees
- Brenda A. Neil Carter, SPHR – Director of Human Resources, Cincinnati Arts Association
- Denise Davis – Medical Director, East Indiana Comprehensive Treatment Center
- Sallie J. Elliott – C.E.O, Images of Excellence Corporation
- Gloria M. Hayes – C.E.O., Caring Hearts Adult Daycare
- Edna Howell-Parrish – Co-Director, Eckstein Cultural Arts Center
- Marian Y. Profitt-Butler – Ministry Servant Leader, Bread from Heaven Outreach Ministries
- Catherine Roma, DMA – Choral Activist and Conductor, World House Choir and Prison Choral Arts
- Brenda Shirley – Retired Teacher, Cincinnati Public Schools
- Carolyn Wallace – Owner, The Perfect Brew
- Yolanda White – Ministry Leader, New Prospect Baptist Church & Dunamis Mime Ministry
- Flora “Kathy” Young – Retired Teacher, Cincinnati Public Schools
- Baba of Honor: Ozie Davis III, MS, JD – Executive Director, Avondale Comprehensive Development Corporation
ABOUT THE CREATOR OF DADA RAFIKI
Annie Ruth is a Cincinnati-based visual artist/poet who creates work that celebrates the human spirit. She is a trailblazer who has received critical acclaim for her work in the community – fusing her artistic talents with arts education and collaborating with major cultural institutions and museums to bring art directly to communities throughout the United States and abroad.
A few of her awards include an Athena International Leadership Award, YWCA Career Woman of Achievement, an Ohio Senate Commendation for her community service and artistic accomplishments, Cincinnati Enquirer Woman of the Year, Cincinnati Herald Nefertiti Award, Taft Museum of Art Duncanson Artist in Residence, and the Leading Woman Award for Arts and Entertainment.
Cincinnati Arts Association SPONSORS
Season Sponsors: AMERITAS (Founding Season Sponsor), FIFTH THIRD BANK (Lifetime Endowment Partner), FURNITURE FAIR, LOCAL12 WKRC, The P&G FUND of The Greater Cincinnati Foundation
SEASON PRESENTING SPONSORS: Cincinnati Herald, CityBeat, Heidelberg Distributing Company, Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, Macy’s, Pepsi, Skyline Chili, TriHealth, Ultimate Air Shuttle, Wells Fargo Insurance Services USA, Inc.