Cincinnati Music Theatre is seeking director submissions for our 2022-2023 Mainstage and Studio Series seasons.
We are looking for directors and artists from diverse backgrounds who are interested in amplifying marginalized voices and bringing fresh perspectives to timely stories. CMT is committed to diverse casting and production teams.
CMT Mainstage Series
CMT Mainstage shows are large- or medium-scale, fully-produced musicals, presented in the Jarson-Kaplan Theatre at the Aronoff Center for the Arts. In 2022-23, we will present two Mainstage shows (November 2022 and May 2023).
CMT Studio Series
The Studio Series is performed in a cabaret setting in the Aronoff’s Fifth Third Bank Theatre. We plan to present three shows in this series in the 2022-23 season (September 2022, February 2023 and June 2023). The September slot is filled, with our postponed production of Between the Lines, Outside the Margins. We are accepting applications for the February and June slots.
Our Studio Series has primarily consisted of small-cast book musicals and original cabarets. However, we would love to see your pitches of music-oriented pieces of any variety. For example:
- original small-cast musicals
- original cabaret shows
- musical revues
- concert editions of full musicals
- storytelling pieces that include dance, poetry, instrumental music, etc.
Cincinnati Music Theatre encourages the creation of original art. If an original revue or show is submitted for the Studio Series, an arranger may be hired and paid a flat rate at the producer’s discretion, in lieu of paying grand rights.
The Studio Series is intended for cabaret, revue, and small-scale musicals with little or no costume, set or tech requirements, as there is no budget for sets or costumes. Performances should lend themselves to piano accompaniment or a small combo.
Interested directors should submit the following information:
- Name and contact information
- Theatrical experience and/or resume
- For each production you are interested in directing, please give the following:
- Is the Application for the Mainstage or Studio Series?
- A title and summary for your show, particularly for original works
- Logistical requirements for cast size, tech needs, musician needs
- The names of anyone you may have in mind to fill out your production staff
- The artistic vision you have for your show, and ideas about how you might incorporate conscious casting, dramaturgical work, unconventional staging, and other creative elements to tell a story that speaks to today’s audiences
- What challenges do you see with this show? How do you plan to meet them?
- Why is this show a good choice for CMT’s 2022-23 season?
Please send your pitches by February 14, 2022 to email@example.com. Questions? Ask VP Creative Kendra Struthers at the above email address, or call 513.652.2826.
We look forward to hearing from you!
CMT Creative Committee
Please note that CMT is an all-volunteer group, and there is no compensation for artistic staff, actors, technical staff, crew, or musicians.