HEATHERS: The Musical
by Laurence O’Keefe and Kevin Murphy
HEATHERS: The Musical is the darkly delicious story of Veronica Sawyer, a brainy, beautiful teenage misfit who hustles her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at Westerberg High: the Heathers. But before she can get comfortable atop the high school food chain, Veronica falls in love with the dangerously sexy new kid J.D. When Heather Chandler, the Almighty, kicks her out of the group, Veronica decides to bite the bullet and kiss Heather’s aerobicized ass…but J.D. has another plan for that bullet.
Brought to you by the award-winning creative team of Kevin Murphy (Reefer Madness, “Desperate Housewives”), Laurence O’Keefe (Bat Boy, Legally Blonde) and Andy Fickman (Reefer Madness, She’s the Man). HEATHERS: The Musical is a hilarious, heartfelt, and homicidal show based on the greatest teen comedy of all time. With its moving love story, laugh-out-loud comedy, and unflinching look at the joys and anguish of high school, Heathers will be the most heartstopping musical in Cincinnati this season. Are you in or are you out?
Directed by Amanda Borchers
Music Directed by Allen Lindsey
Choreographed by Robert Fields
Produced by: April Benken & Rebecca Coots
Please prepare 32 measures of an up tempo musical theater or contemporary pop piece. An accompanist will be provided, please provide music in the appropriate key with your cut noted. Please no acapella auditions or CDs. You may be asked to perform a cold read from the script. Callbacks will only be used if necessary.
Audition Dates: November 2 & 3, 12-3 PM
Call Backs: November 3, 5-7 PM
Lockland High School Auditorium – 249 W Forrer, Cincinnati, OH 45215
Show dates: May 1 – 10, 2020
Rehearsals will be determined by cast availability, 3 nights per week (likely M, W, Thurs. from Feb- May) until tech with the possibility of a few optional rehearsals added closer to tech week.
Sign Up Genius for Audition Slots: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050B45A8AD2DA20-heathers
CASTING: 8m, 9f
- VERONICA SAWYER – 17. She burns to be both cool and kind, but doesn’t know yet how to be both at the same time. Fierce sense of right and wrong, keen sense of ironic humor. Thinks she’s an old soul but she’s still innocent enough to be blindsided by love/hormones (or shocked by cruelty). Voice: High belting required, up to Ab. Must have dynamic and stylistic range.
- JD – 17. He is darkly charismatic, compelling, attractive, charming on the outside yet very damaged on the inside. Keen smarts and strong inventive comedy. Voice: Strong, confident belt to at least an Ab, A preferable; wide emotional range.
- HEATHER CHANDLER – 17. Richest, hottest, most magnetic, cruelest girl in town. Relishes power and wields it like a scalpel – no fear, no patience, no mercy. Voice: Strong belt to F or higher preferred. Mezzo for chorus. NOTE: In certain choral songs Chandler can switch parts with her other Heathers as needed.
- HEATHER MCNAMARA – 17. Beautiful, innocent, stupid, can be mean on command if Heather Chandler orders it, but actually quite vulnerable and fearful. Voice: Strong belt to Db, D preferred. Soprano for chorus. NOTE: in certain choral songs Heather Mac and Duke can switch vocal parts as needed.
- HEATHER DUKE – 17. Whipping-girl of the 3 Heathers. When she finally becomes Queen Bee she wields power like a bulldozer. Alto for chorus. Voice: Strong belt to C, D preferred. Alto for chorus. NOTE: in certain choral songs Heather Duke and Mac can switch vocal parts as needed.
- MARTHA DUNNSTOCK – 17. Nicknamed “Martha Dumptruck”, the opposite of hot, confident, or popular. Huge and beautiful soul, optimistic even in the face of rejection. Voice: Strong belt to E or F, wide vocal expression.
- RAM SWEENEY – 17, Linebacker. Big, insensitive to the feelings of others, ruled by appetites. Voice: Strong Baritone, belt to G, some Falsetto useful.
- KURT KELLY – 17. Quarterback and Captain. Big, chiseled, rude, entitled, cocky. Mean, thinks he’s the brains in the friendship with Ram. Voice: Tenor, strong belt to Ab or A, some Falsetto. NOTE: in certain songs Ram and Kurt can switch choral assignment if, say, Ram sings higher than Kurt.
- RAM’S DAD/BIG BUD DEAN/COACH RIPPER – 40 to 45. Ram’s Dad: Former football player turned suburban Dad, has never outgrown his glory days in high school. Hates weakness, but capable of soul-searching when tragedy strikes. Also plays Big Bud Dean: JD’s single Dad. Big jolly personality that barely conceals the enormous rage bubbling just below the surface. Quite possibly a serial bomber. Also plays Coach Ripper: Stalwart, man’s man; quick to defend his players. Voice: Baritone/Tenor – power Country/Gospel belt to Ab, higher welcome. NOTE: Sometimes this actor has played Principal Gowan instead of Big Bud/Coach.
- MS. FLEMING/VERONICA’S MOM – 45 to 50. Ms. Fleming: Aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Hungry for the spotlight, resentful of entitled youth. Also plays Veronica’s Mom: easygoing, distant, yet capable of laying down the law. Voice: Great belt up to C, higher always welcome.
- KURT’S DAD/VERONICA’S DAD/PRINCIPAL GOWAN – 30 to 45. Kurt’s Dad: Straight-laced, very conservative, also former football player. A simple guy, not book smart, you’d be happy to share a beer with him. Also plays Veronica’s Dad: Easygoing and distant. Voice: Strong Baritone/Tenor — power Country/Gospel belt to G, even higher better. Also plays Principal Gowan: Rumpled, burned out, hates conflict. NOTE: Sometimes this actor has played Big Bud/Coach instead of Principal Gowan.
- BOY 1 – Bitter Geek 16-18. A put-upon, bitter geek. Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
- BOY 2 – Blowdried Preppy 16-18. A blowdried 80’s preppy. Voice: Bass (up to E) or Bari (up to G#).
- BOY 3 – Hipster Dork 16-18. Thinks he’s Ducky from ‘Pretty In Pink.’ Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
- GIRL 1 – Goth Girl 16-18. A sullen goth girl. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
- GIRL 2 – Stoner Chick 16-18. A fuzzyheaded stoner chick. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
- GIRL 3 – Young Republicanette 16-18. A tennis-playing, uptight Student Council type. Voice: Belt to at least C# (Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).