Inspired by the books of Janet Letnes Martin and Suzann Nelson,
including the best seller GROWING UP LUTHERAN
Written by Jim Stowell and Jessica Zuehlke
Music and Lyrics by Drew Jansen
WHEN: Wednesday, February 1, 2023, 6:30pm to 8:00pm
- 16 – 24 bars of a song in the style of the show
- 1 minute Monologue showcasing your storytelling skills
- You will be asked to turn in a full list of conflicts for rehearsal dates (exact rehearsal dates will be provided at auditions). Please have that prepared.
- No performance conflicts will be accepted.
Please CLICK HERE to register.
Rehearsal will begin at the end of February with the first rehearsal taking place February 21st 2023 from 6:00-8:30 PM. As mentioned, A detailed rehearsal schedule will be provided at Auditions, and may vary depending on actor and production team availability.
- Friday, April 14th, 7:00 PM
- Saturday, April 15, 7:00 PM
- Sunday, April 16, 2:30PM
- Friday, April 21, 7:00 PM
- Saturday, April 22, 7:00 PM
- Sunday, April 23, 2:30 PM
CHARACTER AND VOCAL DESCRIPTIONS
- MRS SNUSTAD (VIVIAN), is 60 to 70 years old and a widow. She is the most conservative of the ladies, and she is the matriarch of the kitchen. She is the one that makes sure the food tastes good before leaving the kitchen and she is the one that washes the dishes. Her duties are well defined (by her). She sits at the center work table on a stool almost as a throne where she commands the work of the day. Her word is not to be tested and her decisions are final. She is a mix of Shirley McClain as “Weeser”, Bea Arthur as “Maude” “Doris” in Everybody Loves Raymond and the Mom in Golden Girls. Vocally hers is the highest voice of the ladies. Low – A flat below middle C, no lower than a B flat below middle C. High – E, a major 10th above middle C.
- MRS ELROY ENGELSON (KARIN) is 40 to 45 years old and is second in line to take over the kitchen. Her cooking is fabulous. She is neat and tidy in appearance and quite pretty in a very conservative way, almost looking like Jackie Kennedy with everything perfectly in it’s place. She senses the world is about to change because she listens to her daughter, Signe who without her influence on Karin’s life, might be as rigid as Mrs Snustad. The middle voice. Low – A flat below middle C, and High – D, a major 9th above middle C. Should have a comfortable belt.
- MRS GILMER GILMERSON (MAVIS) is in her late 50’s and is a farmer’s wife and a grandmother. She is not afraid of work and can fix anything mechanical as well as do the books. She is the most physical comedienne of the three ladies because of her “jump in and work” attitude. She appears rather disheveled even when dressed up for a wedding. She is somewhat butch, but not gay. Everyone loves her. The lowest of the voices – Low – A flat below middle C. High – D, a major 9th above middle C.
- SIGNE (Beverly) ENGELSON is the daughter of Karin, and has just started college at the University of Minnesota. She comes home to visit often, and loves working with her mother in the kitchen. She is 18 or 19 years old and ready to make her mark in the world. She represents change. Not only the change the church was going through in 1965, but the change the country was beginning to go through at that time. She would never really become a hippie, but she will like the styles once they are introduced at Sears in Minneapolis. She is pretty like her mother, and very sweet, but not afraid to challenge Mrs Snustad and speak her mind in a respectful way. Low – A below middle C. High – G flat above middle C.
- PASTOR E. L. GUNDERSON is the same age as Karin, but he has just married a young wife. The ladies all seem to have crushes on him in a respectful “pastorly” way. He is goaded by the fact that he comes from a family of Pastors, and his brother, not he, inherited his father’s church down the road. He is a bit competitive, and finds that he can truly relax when in the kitchen. He has a very friendly and intimate relationship with God, almost like “Tevye” and he knows that the church runs best when the kitchen is happy. Low – B flat, a major 9th below middle C. High – G flat above middle C>
Is it paid?
Gas stipends are available.
Official page |