Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) and is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion in all areas of its work, both on and offstage. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and life experiences to the workplace are especially encouraged to apply.
Position: Assistant Properties Manager
Reports to: Props Manager
Position Start Date: Immediately
Salary Range: $23.18 per hour (35-hour week)
The Assistant Properties Manager works closely with the Properties Manager to oversee the acquisition, construction, installation, and dismantling of props. This position works closely with designers, directors, and the Props Manager to develop drawings and other such plans for props, assists with props research as necessary, and manages the organization and rental of CPIP Props inventory.
This is a full-time position that works the duration of the Production season. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and 401(k) plan with company match.
- Collaborates with Props Manager, IATSE Props Artisans, Directors, Designers, and other departments to provide properties for all CPIP productions and ancillary events as needed.
- Creates and sources props for rehearsals and productions
- Maintains an organized prop stock and digital inventory
- Maintains shop equipment and shop cleanliness
- Creates construction drawings for built props.
- Assists in load ins, load outs, and tech rehearsals as needed
- Maintains the artistic standards of all Playhouse presented shows and events.
- Shops for props and prop-making supplies
- Oversees props crew when Props Manager is unavailable
- Manages rentals to outside theaters & production companies. This includes keeping records, processing invoices, etc.
- Observes and implements shop safety and risk management procedures in all workspaces. Maintains knowledge of PPE and MSDS information. CPIP will provide First Aid/CPR/Forklift training as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Skills and Attributes:
- Good aesthetic sensibility with an eye for color, proportions, period, and style.
- Good time management and problem-solving skills, and the ability to delegate when needed.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time with a positive and proactive problem-solving attitude.
- Self-motivated and detail oriented with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to learn and teach new skills and about new materials and techniques.
- Ability to realize deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of shop tools, props building techniques, period styles
- Embrace and implement a safe work environment.
- Willing and able to work flexible hours/days reflective of a production schedule of a theater which includes a variety of hours including evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, CAD, 3Dprinting, and vinyl cutters a plus
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- 4 years of job experience or an equivalent
- Ability to self-critique and correct work while maintaining sensitivity to the overall artistic vision.
- Proficient with web-based searches for new materials and processes.
- Works well with others and independently.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Job requires long stretches of standing
- Able to climb and perform work on ladders, cat walks and personnel lifts
- 35-hour weeks are the standard, but extra hours during load in and tech rehearsals are possible
- Comfortable opening/closing shop/setting alarm
- Ability to work in dimly lit/uneven spaces (backstage during tech, trap room, etc.)
- Driver’s license and able to drive prop van and box truck.
All employees are required to receive the COVID19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation has been approved.
Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park continues to monitor the pandemic situation. Qualified candidates will be expected to comply with Playhouse’s health and safety plan – while at work and outside work – that continues to be updated per latest state and Federal guidelines.
The physical demands and safe working expectations described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, it is not necessarily exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, requirements, or expectations of this position. Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park reserves the right to revise or amend this description based on business needs or changes to the work environment.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and references Elizabeth Lyons, Properties Manager email@example.com and cc: Amy Stier, Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of materials will be done on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.