Be a part of the magic and take a leap into the spotlight for TCT’s production of The Wiz JR.
This audition is open to all people, ages, and talents!
Whether you see yourself as a beginner who only sings in the shower and dances in the kitchen, or you’ve performed with us before, everyone is welcome on our stage. We want you to show us what you’ve got for a chance to be a part of TCT’s modern telling of this classic story we all know and love.
Deadline to submit is Oct. 8th.
Click here to Submit Your Audition
Work with a Broadway Director! Directed by Zhailon Levingston
Straight from Broadway’s Chicken & Biscuits, Hadestown, and Tina: The Tina Turner Musical
THE WIZ JR.
Book: William F. Brown
Music & Lyrics: Charlie Smalls
Additional Material: Tina Tippit
Adaptation: Deondra Kamau Means
Directed by: Zhailon Levingston
Choreographed by: Ayodele Casel, Torya Beard & Amanda Castro
A beloved Broadway gem, THE WIZ infuses L. Frank Baum’s The Wonderful Wizard of Oz with a dazzling mix of rock, gospel and soul music. This timeless tale of Dorothy’s adventures through the Land of Oz is a fun, family-friendly, and modern musical.
Rehearsals: February 28 – March 26, 2022
Tech in the Taft Theatre: March 30-April 1, 2022
Performances: April 2-11, 2022
Morning and Afternoon performances during school days. Morning, afternoon and evening performances Friday-Sunday.
- AUNT EM: Female Identifying, Dorothy’s Aunt. Life has not been easy for her and promises little else. Harsh towards Dorothy at times, but acts out of love.
- DOROTHY: Female Identifying, Bright eyed and alive as can be. Would rather remain a child as long as possible instead of accepting the responsibilities of adulthood.
- UNCLE HENRY: Male Identifying, Dorothy’s Uncle. Physically run-down from years of hard work on the farm. Often acts as the voice of reason towards Aunt Em.
- ADDAPERLE: Any gender identity, any age, Good Witch of the North. Has magic powers they refer to as “doing tricks.” Their magical abilities don’t always pan out as well as they would like them to.
- SCARECROW: Any gender identity, any age, Tired of being a scarecrow and the prospect of not going anywhere. Embarks on the journey to see The Wiz in hopes they can provide a brain.
- TIN MAN: Any gender identity, any age, Human at one time. Lost all their limbs to a cursed axe. Joins in the journey in hopes the Wiz will provide them a heart because “it isn’t enough to be good looking.”
- LION: Any gender identity, any age, Travels around the jungle scaring people, but has “a yellow streak a mile wide.” Coward state stems from deeper mother issues and gets. Joins in the journey to see the wiz to gain some courage.
- THE WIZ: Any gender identity, any age, All-powerful leader over the land of Oz. Hides their true nature behind the façade of a temperamental leader. Their true identity is an enigma.
- EVILLENE: Any gender identity, any age, Wicked Witch of the West. Low-down evil. Not a kind bone in their body nor kind thought in their rotten mind.
- GLINDA: Any gender identity, any age, Good Witch of the South. Prettiest of all the witches. Very wise in the way of show-business.
- ENSEMBLE: A group of Adults, Teens, and children to play a wide variety of characters and features including munchkins, Citizens of Oz, Gatekeeper, Lord High Underling, Winged Monkeys and understudy principal roles. Seeking extremely strong and versatile Dancer, Singer, Actors. Tumbling and tap ability a HUGE plus
Click here to submit your audition.
THE WIZ Adapted from “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” By L. Frank Baum. Book by William F. Brown. Additional Material by Tina Tippit. Music and Lyrics by Charlie Smalls. Copyright 1975, 1979, 2006, 2010.
This Sixty-Minute Version of THE WIZ JR. was developed by The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati, Deondra Kamau Means, Resident Artist.