Resident Stage Manager
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati’s mission is to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through three primary programs:
- TCT MainStage at the Taft Theatre
- TCT On Tour
- TCT Academy
Vision: To awaken a lifelong love of theatre in children and the young at heart.
- We believe in the power of theatre to enrich lives and create deeper understandings of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- We believe that our audiences deserve high-quality experiences that are rich with wonder, honesty, compassion, joy, and wisdom.
- We believe that the arts and education are not mutually exclusive.
- We believe that the art we create must respect the diversity of our community.
- We believe in the power of integrated arts education to enrich our lives and our communities.
The Resident Stage Manager will assist the organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. The Resident Stage Manager coordinates rehearsal and performance needs for TCT.
This position will report directly to the Production Director, and will work in tandem with The Technical Director, the Associate Artistic Director/Company Manager, and contracted creative teams, which make up the key members of the Production Department.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Stage Managing productions for TCT
- Assist in managing schedules for technical departments and casts with Producing Director
- Attending all production meetings, rehearsals, and performances
- Assist in scheduling of rehearsals and performances with stage director and creative team members
- Assist in paperwork generally associated with Stage Management including crew running paperwork, character costume breakdowns, and prompt book creation.
- Assist in performer choreography and blocking record-keeping
- Assist with coordination of MainStage season auditions
- Recruit and manage Assistant Stage Managers and Stage Management Interns with the help of the Production Director
- Along with Production and Artistic teams, manage schedules for technical department and casts
- General Stage Management duties required for the production, including set up of the rehearsal room, taping out the rehearsal room, prop tables, and creating, maintaining, and distributing all paperwork including a prompt book containing blocking and production cues.
Education and Outreach
- When available, acts as the Stage Manager for the final performances of TCT Academy and STAR performances.
- Assist the Associate Artistic Director to coordinate and attend auditions and callbacks, assisting with paperwork where necessary.
Technical Theatre Coordination
- Along with the Production Director, create and manage technical schedules and IATSE crew needs.
- Oversee unloading scenery, prop, and wardrobe trucks after load-out from the theater as available.
- Along with the Production Director, supervise strike of all TCT performances.
Ideal and Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Theatre Arts or related field, or equivalent work experience in Theatre Production/Stage Management
- Ability to work and maintain schedules for technical departments and performers
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to read written music
- Broad understanding of all aspects of technical theatre
- Experience working with Labor Union Crews, and Volunteers[RJ1] [RJ2] [RJ3]
- Ability to work with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
Compensation and Benefits:
- Annual Salary: $40,000
- Health, vision, and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period
- 403(b) retirement plan participation available with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service
- Generous PTO based on years of service
- Generous paid holiday schedule
Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can come in the form of a video, cover letter/resume, portfolio, and/or demo reels. (Files should be less than 3MB in total, links are welcome). No phone calls, please.
Please submit materials and any references by September 3, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject Line: Stage Manager Submission
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and the work we do behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, identities, abilities, and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.