SCENIC ARTIST (FULL-TIME)
TCT’s mission is to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through three primary programs:
- TCT MainStage at the Taft Theatre
- TCT On Tour
- TCT Academy
Vision: To awaken a lifelong love of theatre in children and the young at heart.
- We believe in the power of theatre to enrich lives and create deeper understandings of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- We believe that our audiences deserve high quality experiences that are rich with wonder, honesty, compassion, joy, and wisdom.
- We believe that the arts and education are not mutually exclusive.
- We believe that the art we create must respect the diversity of our community.
- We believe in the power of integrated arts education to enrich our lives and our communities.
The Scenic Painter will assist the organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining, and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming.
The Scenic Painter is self-motivated, able to work independently to complete tasks assigned to them safely and quickly without constant and direct oversight, and is able to work with other members of the company. The Scenic Painter is willing and eager to assist other departments to help fulfill the goals of the company. The Scenic Painter can read and interpret paint elevations, and is knowledgeable in art techniques as they relate to scenic art. The Scenic Painter of The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati (TCT) reports directly to the Scenic Charge Artist to assist the organization in fulfilling its mission. We are looking to grow this department, and the position does have the potential to evolve into higher management in the future.
Start Date: July 1st, potential over hire opportunities now thru start date.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Scenic Charge Artist to understand the vision and needs of the production
- Work with the Scenic Charge Artist to create artistic techniques and samples
- Track supplies while keeping the shop well organized and clean
- Paint all TCT productions with the help of the Scenic Charge Artist and overhire as needed
- Assist as needed with Load-in and Load-out of all sets
- Creating a “touch-up” kit and touching up the scenery as necessary on location
- Assist with any needs for STAR Programs, TCT on Tour, WorkShops, & lobby displays when applicable
Minimum and Ideal Qualifications:
- BA or equivalent in theatre, or 4 years scenic painting experience
- Knowledge of scenic painting techniques, including faux finishes, spattering, cartooning, texturing, aging, and distressing
- Able to lift up to 50lbs, safely climb stairs and ladders, and use aerial work platforms
- Knowledge and experience with scenic sprayers including P50, Hudson, Preval, and Pneumatic
- Able to read and interpret paint elevations
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and safely
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Realistic problem-solving attitude
- Valid driver’s license
Compensation & Benefits:
- Wage Range: $15-18/hr.
- Health, vision and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period.
- 403(b) retirement plan participation available, after a waiting period, with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service.
- Generous PTO based on years of service.
- Generous paid holiday schedule.
No phone calls please. Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can come in the form of cover letter, resume’, links to personal website, portfolios, and/or demo reels. (files should be less than 3MB in total).
Please submit your materials along with references to: email@example.com. Subject Line: TCT SCENIC ARTIST 2021
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and the work we do behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, races, ethnicities, gender, gender identities, religions, abilities, and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.