Title: Wardrobe Supervisor
Reports to: Costume Shop Manager & Production Stage Manager
Start Date: September 27, 2021 (flexible)
About the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company (CSC) is a resident ensemble theatre company bringing Shakespeare and the Classics to life for all. Operating out of The Otto M. Budig Theater, CSC hosts a year-round theatrical season in addition to special events, educational programming, and community engagement activities. In its theatrical portfolio, CSC executes up to ten mainstage productions and six touring productions annually. Beyond its theatrical portfolio, CSC collaborates with many local community and arts organizations.
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and access (DEIA) are priorities of the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company. CSC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification. All team members are expected to advance CSC’s DEIA commitments.
The Wardrobe Supervisor is essential to the production team of CSC, collaborating closely with designers, other production team members, artistic associates, and the producing artistic director to ensure that all projects produced at CSC are artistically executed to the highest possible standard.
The Wardrobe Supervisor is responsible for the costume and wig maintenance, preshow, and postshow needs for all CSC productions. They work closely with the Stage Management Team to run all productions and as a result will also report to the Production Stage Manager. The Wardrobe Supervisor works intimately with the acting ensemble; as such, they should be able to handle issues with discretion, prioritize privacy, and value creating a comfortable work environment.
When not in performance, the Wardrobe Supervisor works in the Costume Shop. Duties assigned will align with the skills of the Wardrobe Supervisor, and may include stitching, hair, makeup, or costume technical tasks.
This is a full-time, hourly position. The schedule for the Wardrobe Supervisor averages 40-45 hours per week. The specific work schedule is driven by the performance and technical rehearsal schedule. Extended hours and modified work weeks may be necessary due to technical rehearsal schedules and specific production needs.
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company truly operates as a team. To consistently achieve excellence, it is possible that the Wardrobe Supervisor will be asked to assist departments beyond their areas of focus or expertise. This effort is requested under exceptional circumstances.
- Running wardrobe backstage for all mainstage productions and educational matinees.
- Maintaining and cleaning costumes during all production runs.
- Doing all show laundry and redistributing clean clothes after each performance.
- Spraying and deodorizing all non-washable clothes after each performance.
- Steaming and pressing garments as needed.
- Repairing garments as needed and informing the shop manager of any serious damages or repairs.
- Styling, re-blocking, cleaning and maintaining wigs during the production run.
- Attend production meetings and designer run-throughs as necessary.
- Participate in stage cleaning and preparation leading into technical rehearsals and build processes.
- Maintain cleanliness of backstage wardrobe spaces including dressing rooms (per Actors Equity Association rulebook), quick change booths, and any storage shelves, racks, or tables.
- Participate in wardrobe strike for all productions.
- Weeks when running wardrobe does not require 40 working hours per week:
- Participate in costume build process including pulling, patterning, and stitching.
- Assist the Costume Shop Manager in the restock, cleaning, and maintaining of costume storage and work spaces as requested.
- May be asked to coordinate costumes for remounted productions.
- Advance the diversity, equity, inclusion, access, and strategic goals of CSC.
- Adhere to company policies and regulations per the CSC Company Handbook.
- Maintain a safe, fair, and ethical working environment.
- Collaborate with the Costume Shop Manager to improve overall aesthetic product and production processes.
- Maintain CPR certification provided by CSC.
- Provide personal, reliable mode of transportation.
- Other duties as requested by the Costume Shop Manager.
- Serve as Covid-19 Safety Officer for all performances (per Actors Equity Association Covid-19 Guidelines).
Competencies & Qualifications
The items listed below are guidelines to skills and ambitions that a successful candidate should have. Successful candidates will identify as possessing the majority of these skills or being actively interested and committed to developing these skills. Candidates who have yet to cultivate some of these attributes, but feel passionate about growing them may still find success in this role.
- Passionate about cultivating a work environment and work product that supports CSC’s DEIA initiatives.
- Drive to create excellent theater that has a significant impact in the community and beyond.
- Eagerness to learn.
- Ability to remain tactful in stressful situations.
- Desire to lead a team, develop their skills, and foster their professional development.
- Previous experience in technical theatre with a focus in wardrobe. Experience in other areas such as costume construction, alterations, make-up execution, or management a plus.
- Strong knowledge base of wardrobe maintenance and laundry.
- Experience styling and maintaining wigs.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly with actors and colleagues.
- Comfortable problem solving and making decisions with limited supervision.
- Able to keep calm under pressure and remain tactful in stressful situations.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Able to read and create detailed paperwork.
- A sense of humor.
- Leads with kindness.
Compensation & Benefits
This position is an hourly, full-time position with an estimated annual income range of $30,000 – $32,000. Overtime is received for hours worked over 40 in a workweek spanning Monday through Sunday. In addition to their earnings, the Wardrobe Supervisor is eligible for the following benefits:
- Access to profit-sharing bonus program after first year of employment.
- Ten days of paid vacation, accrued seasonally.
- Six days of paid sick leave, accrued seasonally.
- Paid holiday leave.
- Access to group health insurance with 50% of employee premiums paid by CSC.
- Optional enrollment in Health Savings Account plan.
- Access to dental insurance with 50% of employee premiums paid by CSC.
- Life and AD&D coverage for the employee paid by CSC.
- Parental leave, short-term medical leave.
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer match.
- Free access to CSC educational programming for dependents (Groundlings Junior, Groundlings, Summer Camp).
- Complimentary enrollment and membership to the Y which offers fitness facilities throughout the region and other wellness benefits.
- Complimentary and discounted tickets to all CSC productions.
To apply visit www.cincyshakes.com/job-advertisement-application-wardrobe-supervisor-2021 and scroll down to apply.