THE BUTTERFINGERS ANGEL MARY AND JOESPH, HAROD THE NUT AND THE SLAUGHTER OF 12 HIT CAROLS ON A PEAR TREE by William Gibson
About the Show:
Dealing with the story of Mary and Joseph and the birth of Jesus from a fresh and richly creative point of view, the author combines traditional Christmas music, and often antic characterizations. Following the Biblical recounting, the story is enhanced by a tree, a sheep and a donkey, who talk! Add a beguiling Mary who has decided that men and marriage were not for her; and a suddenly cautious Joseph who now contends that he is too old for his intended and a flustered boy-angel who directs the action from a promptbook and manages to get only the most strangled, bleating sounds from his trumpet. But, the true significance of the occasion is never lost, and the underlying mood and spirit of reverence is, if anything; enhanced and made new by the distinctive approach of this joyful and unique retelling.
- Sunday, August 8, 2021 – 2pm – 5pm
- Monday, August 9. 2021 – 7pm – 8:30pm
- Tuesday. August 10. 2021 – 7pm – 8:30pm
Cold readings from the script
You will be asked to sing a Christmas Carol (no sheet music is required, singing may be A cappella. Everyone sings in this show, but you don’t need to be a great singer. Able to sing harmony is a plus.
The on-line audition form is available here.
Rehearsals will begin at the end of October.
You must be available December 3rd & 4th
December 10, 11 & 12 (4 performances)
- Male Angel, Age13 – 18: confident, a character unto himself, witty and in command
- Mary: able to play in your early 20’s: her own woman not like you think Mary might be
- Joseph: a carpenter – able to play in your 40’s: unsure, aged, a bit wishy-washy
- The Tree (Female): 18 – 40’s: Narcissistic, funny, exhausting. The role is somewhat physical
- King Herod, Man in Grey and Courier: able to play in your 50’s: A character actor for sure, a little insane
- 3 female roles – age 13 & above: To play Women of Nazareth, Women of Herod’s court, & Chorus
- 3 male roles – age 13 & above: To play Mary’s brothers, the three kings, soldiers & Chorus
- 4 children roles – ages 8 to 12: To play children of Nazareth, farm animals, and Chorus
THE BUTTERFINGERS ANGEL MARY AND JOESPH, HAROD THE NUT AND THE SLAUGHTER OF 12 HIT CAROLS ON A PEAR TREE is presented by special arrangement with Dramatists Play Service, Inc., New York.