Open Auditions for AR Gurney’s SYLVIA!
Auditions are readings from the script. The readings are posted below ….. go ahead and look, it’s not cheating! We look forward to seeing you ….. and isn’t it GREAT to be auditioning again?
Directed by Mike Taint
Mon & Tue, July 26 & 27 at 7pm
45 E Second St, Xenia
Performance Dates: Oct. 1-10
Cast Requirements: (must be able to play “about” the age range, not necessarily be in age range). All roles open to all ethnicities.
- Sylvia (lead, 20-40) – a dog played by a woman. Good comedic timing and physical comedy skills necessary. Flexibility and mobility essential.
- Greg (lead 40-60) – highly likeable married man befuddled by the classic mid life crisis (mostly about work) who impulsively adopts and falls in love with a stray dog. Married to Kate
- Kate (lead 40-60) – middle-aged college academic (Shakespeare scholar) with her kids finally out of the house, is excited and ready to finally be able to focus on her marriage and her own career. Married to Greg
- The following supporting roles were originally designed to be played by one actor. The director prefers not to double/triple cast but keeps this as an option. Age ranges 25-40s for all
- Tom – a man in the dog park who dispenses some common sense advice
- Leslie – an androgynous (and possibly bi polar) psychiatrist who lets the clients choose his/her gender during their sessions, comic relief character
- Phyllis – a hotshot Manhattanite, Kate’s friend from college, prone to drama and drinking
Greg and Kate have moved to Manhattan after twenty-two years of child-raising in the suburbs. Greg’s career as a financial trader is winding down, while Kate’s career, as a public-school English teacher, is beginning to offer her more opportunities. Greg brings home a dog he found in the park—or that has found him—bearing only the name “Sylvia” on her name tag. A street-smart mixture of Lab and poodle, Sylvia becomes a major bone of contention between husband and wife. She offers Greg an escape from the frustrations of his job and the unknowns of middle age. To Kate, Sylvia becomes a rival for affection. And Sylvia thinks Kate just doesn’t understand the relationship between man and dog. The marriage is put in serious jeopardy until, after a series of hilarious and touching complications, Greg and Kate learn to compromise, and Sylvia becomes a valued part of their lives.
Auditions Sides are available here (scroll down).
Questions? Email me at email@example.com.