TCT’s mission is to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through three primary programs:
- TCT MainStage at the Taft Theatre
- TCT On Tour
- TCT Academy
Vision: To awaken a lifelong love of theatre in children and the young at heart.
- We believe in the power of theatre to enrich lives and create deeper understandings of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- We believe that our audiences deserve high quality experiences that are rich with wonder, honesty, compassion, joy, and wisdom.
- We believe that the arts and education are not mutually exclusive.
- We believe that the art we create must respect the diversity of our community.
- We believe in the power of integrated arts education to enrich our lives and our communities.
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and the work we do behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, identities, abilities and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.
The TCT Academy Director assists the organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. The TCT Academy Director is a member of TCT’s Resident Artist Company and coordinates the Academy’s functions with the assistance from members of the Education Team. TCT Academy Director directly supports and upholds the artistic integrity of the Producing Artistic Director’s vision for the organization’s Education Department.
START DATE: JULY 2021
The Education Team consists of a staff whose expertise is vast and multi-disciplined. The ideal TCT Academy Director candidate possesses piano accompaniment skills, has experience music directing, and finds joy coaching private voice students ages 9 and up.
Depending on the area of expertise, the ideal candidate could become a specialized resident artist for the organization. (i.e. a Resident Music Director, a Resident Pianist, a Resident Choreographer, a Resident Costume Designer, etc.)
TCT Academy Department:
The TCT Academy Department consists of the following programs:
- TCT Academy’s Class Sessions
- Private Lessons, Summer Camps
- The STAR Program
Reports and Reporting:
The TCT Academy Director reports to the Education Director.
The TCT Academy Director will supervise a team of part-time, contracted, and full-time teaching artists, and work closely with the Education Manager to schedule their time.
Overview of Responsibilities:
The TCT Academy Director’s duties include but are not limited to:
- Supervising TCT Academy contracted teaching artists.
- Working closely with the Education Director and Education Manager to create the Education Department’s operating budget.
- Observing teaching artists and providing feedback to the Education Director
- Researching and developing TCT Academy lesson plan curricula and implementing TCT Academy curricula and policies in collaboration with TCT Education staff.
- Assisting the Education Director to determine which classes the Academy will offer.
- Supporting the Education Director with day-to-day administrative needs of the Academy.
- Managing the TCT Academy Coordinator and other Academy Teaching Artists.
- Assist the TCT Academy Coordinator in communication with parents, enrolling customers with class selection, organizing culminating class showcases, and fielding student, parent and teacher questions.
- Working with the Education Team and Marketing Department to write class description copy for TCT Academy fliers and other marketing materials
- Teaching vocal music and acting classes within the Academy at various levels.
- Execute creative projects as assigned.
- Working with other TCT staff to launch hosted events under TCT Academy.
- Cultivating and measuring student retention.
- Representing TCT at industry events.
- Performing other duties as assigned to support TCT’s mission.
Ideal and Minimum Qualifications:
- A Master’s or a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Theatre Education or related field, or equivalent work experience with Theatre Education (2+ years of experience in teaching and administrative work within an established performing arts training academy) is preferred.
- Broad understanding of all aspects of theatre education including knowledge of developmental and education theories and the impact theatre has on youth
- Familiarity with managing budgets and schedules
- Collaborate with a mission-oriented and dedicated staff
- Working knowledge of PC and Mac-based productivity software and familiarity with industry standard theatrical software
- Prior experience supervising a team in a dynamic environment
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills, both written and oral, are imperative
- Able to maintain a flexible work schedule, which may include irregular and extended working hours during certain times of the season.
Salary and Benefits:
- Annual salary is competitive and based on experience
- Health, vision and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period
- 403(b) retirement plan participation available with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service
- Generous PTO based on years of service
- Generous paid holiday schedule
Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can come in the form of cover letter/resume, portfolios, video links, or demo reels. (Files should be less than 3MB in total). No phone calls please.
DEADLINE: MAY 18, 2021 – 5PM
Please submit your materials along with references to: email@example.com
Subject Line: SUBMISSION ACADEMY DIRECTOR