We are excited to begin the journey for what is sure to be another amazing show. Auditions are one evening only, December 16th with audition slots available from 6-9pm. Callbacks will be Dec 18th from 6-9pm at the same location.
Directed by Rodney Neal
Music voice direction by Betsy Horton
Music conducted by Benjamin Price
Choreographed by Sam Murray
Produced by Angie Neal
Come prepared with a song: approximately 30 bars of music in the style of a Broadway Musical.
Rehearsals will start in January and are currently scheduled for Mondays and Tuesdays 6:30-8:30 and Sundays 3-6.
Oliver! Character Descriptions:
(Ages listed are to be considered stage age and are only a guidline)
- Oliver Twist: An orphan workhouse boy, age range 8-13, singer (smooth boyish soprano)/actor. British (not cockney) accent, bright and innocent. This character is in approximately 80% of the scenes, parents should note he will be required at rehearsal more than any other person in the show.
- Fagin: Middle aged leader of a children’s band of thieves, age range 35- 50s, singer/actor. Cockney accent. Described as devious, a user, sly fox, con man, very personable.
- Artful Dodger: A street kid, age range 13-18, singer/actor. Cockney accent. Very energetic, highly personable, intelligent and savvy beyond his years, Fagin’s right hand “man”.
- Bill Sykes: Also worked for Fagin as a youth now a feared master criminal, age range 25-40s actor/singer (baritone). Cockney accent. Good looking in a rough sort of way, sociopath, a killer who only looks out for himself.
- Nancy: When she was younger worked for Fagin, now a “barmaid” at the Three Cripples Bar, age range 20-30s, singer (good belt)/actress should have decent movement skills. Cockney accent. She lives with and loves Bill Sykes, pretty, intelligent, longs for a better life.
- Bet: Nancy’s friend, may also have worked for Fagin, age range 15-25, singer/actress should move well. Cockney accent. She idolizes Nancy.
- Mr. Bumble: The Master of the Workhouse, age range 35-55, singer (tenor)/actor. Cockney accent. A large, pompous and corrupt bureaucrat.
- Widow Corney: The Mistress of the Workhouse, age range 30-50, singer (soprano belt)/ actress. Cockney accent. Sharp tongued widow, also corrupt.
- Mr. Brownlow: Older gentleman, age range 40-60, actor/singer. British (not cockney) accent. Kind upper class gentleman, Oliver’s grandfather.
- Mr. Sowerberry: The undertaker, age range 30-45, actor/singer (baritone). Cockney accent. Kind of creepy, “buy” Oliver from Bumble to work in the funeral home as a coffin follower, may be an alcoholic.
- Mrs. Sowerberry: The undertaker’s wife, age range 30-45, actress/singer (mezzo). Cockney accent. More business savvy than her husband.
- Noah Claypole: Undertaker’s apprentice, age range 18-25, actor. Cockney accent. May have also come from Workhouse. Feels threatened by, dislikes and torments Oliver.
- Charlotte: Sowerberry’s daughter, age range 16-25, actress. Cockney accent. Attracted to Noah, kind of flirty.
- Dr. Grimwig: A doctor, age range 35-55, actor. British (not cockney) accent. Upper class, friend of Mr. Brownlow.
- Mrs. Bedwin: A housekeeper, age range 35-55. British (not cockney) accent. Works for Mr. Brownlow. Warm personality.
Workhouse & Fagin KIDS
Will cast boys AND girls. Including Dodger’s friend Charley. Singers/actors, let us know if you have any “special skills” example: acrobatics, tumbling, juggling, dance etc. We are looking for boys and girls who are bright and personable. Boys and girls will be in one or more of the following: Workhouse Boys, Workhouse Assistants, Bow Street Runners, Street Vendors (Criers) Crowd of Onlookers and Passersby.
Adult Featured Ensemble
Singers (all voice types), characters with cockney and traditional British accents. Include in this are the “featured” soloists: The Rose Seller (mezzo), Strawberry Seller (soprano), Milk Maid (soprano), Knife Grinder (baritone) and Long Song Seller (Tenor); featured roles Old Sally and Old Lady (cockney accents), & the Chairman. Let us know if you have dance training.
Date: 12/16/2019 (Mon.)
Time: 6:00pm – 9:30pm EDT
Location: The Fitton Center for Creative Arts – 101 S Monument Ave, Hamilton, Oh 45011
Performances are March 19-22.
Reserve your audition slot at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a054faca828a64-rotary