CenterStage Players announces auditions for Bernard Pomerance’s Tony award-winning play, THE ELEPHANT MAN, directed by Tom Peters.
Monday, May 13 and Tuesday, May 14, 2019 – 6:30pm-9pm
with callbacks (if needed) Thursday, May 16, 2019
Lockland High School Auditorium (Door #10 up steps) – 249 W. Forrer, Cincinnati 45215
Better than GPS directions or how to actually get to the school:
- From Southbound I-75: Take exit 12 – turn right off the exit, right again at the light onto E. Wyoming Ave and then take the first left onto Forrer.
- From Northbound I-75: Take exit 12 – turn left onto Davis St, right onto Central Ave, left onto E. Wyoming Ave and then right onto Forrer.
Showdates: September 27-29 and October 4-6, 2019
- Auditions will be cold readings from the script.
- Also bring resume, headshot and rehearsal conflicts beginning July 8, 2019
THE ELEPHANT MAN is based on the life of John Merrick, who lived in London during the latter part of the nineteenth century. A horribly deformed young man – victim of rare skin and bone diseases – he becomes the star freak attraction in traveling sideshows. Found abandoned and helpless, he is admitted to London’s prestigious Whitechapel Hospital. Under the care of celebrated young physician Frederick Treves, Merrick is introduced to London society and slowly evolves from an object of pity to an urbane and witty favorite of the aristocracy and literati, only to be denied his ultimate dream – to become a man like any other. Premiering in London in November of 1977, the production moved to Broadway in 1979 and ran until 1981, winning the Tony Award for Best Play (among others).
Characters (some parts may be doubled):
- FREDERICK TREVES, a surgeon and teacher
- CARR GOMM, administrator of the London Hospital
- ROSS, Manager of the Elephant Man
- JOHN MERRICK, the Elephant Man
- THREE PINHEADS, three women freaks whose heads are pointed
- BELGIAN POLICEMEN
- LONDON POLICEMAN
- MAN, at a fairgrounds in Brussels
- CONDUCTOR, of Ostend-London boat train
- BISHOP WALSHAM HOW
- PORTER, at the London Hospital
- SNORK, also a porter
- MRS. KENDAL, an actress
- PRINCESS ALEXANDRA
- LORD JOHN
- NURSE, MISS SANDWICH
For more information about CenterStage Players and the rest of our season go to centerstageplayersinc.com and follow us on Facebook: CenterStage Players (of Ohio)