Due to the dicey weather this evening, the production team has decided to add an additional audition night for the show. Monday, January 22nd from 7-8 pm at the Loveland Stage Company.
Loveland Stage Company is excited to announce auditions for DON’T DRINK THE WATER.
All those auditioning should prepare a short comedic monologue or joke. Be prepared for cold readings from the script.
Director: John Sloan
Producers: Tom Cavano & Jill Gornet
DON’T DRINK THE WATER is a farcical play by Woody Allen. It takes place the U.S. Embassy of an unnamed country behind the Iron Curtain, during the Cold War. The action centers on the Hollander family, tourists from New Jersey, who become trapped in the Embassy after a misunderstanding. It is up to Axel Magee, the son of the Ambassador, who has been left in charge in his father’s absence, to figure out a way for the Hollanders to return safely to the United States.
The following roles are available:
- Father Drobney: A priest and amateur magician who has been trapped in the embassy for six years. As a result he suffers from “cabin fever“. Also the narrator of the story.
- Ambassador Magee: A hard-nosed career politician who is running for governor of his state. He is exasperated at always having to straighten up the messes that his son, Axel, makes.
- Kilroy: The secretary of the embassy who really runs the operation. Highly efficient, yet somewhat accident prone.
- Axel Magee: The Ambassador’s son who has been left in charge of the embassy while his father is away, in order to prove himself. A well-meaning young man who nevertheless always seems to, inadvertently, do more harm than good.
- Walter Hollander: A middle-aged caterer from New Jersey who is on vacation with his family. Very sarcastic and, at times, confrontational given his and his family’s predicament.
- Marion Hollander: Walter’s wife who is an overbearing “Jewish mother” type and can also sometimes be overemotional to the point of hysterics.
- Susan Hollander: Walter and Marion’s grown-up daughter who is more worldly and level-headed than her parents. Also Axel’s love interest.
- Krojack: The main antagonist. A member of the Secret Police who will try anything to get the Hollander’s to leave the embassy.
- Burns: The doorman/page of the embassy.
- Chef: The chef at the embassy who is very temperamental.
- Sultan of Bashir: A very stern and easily offended Middle Eastern potentate.
- Sultan’s First Wife: Constant companion to the Sultan. Silent role.
- Kasnar: A dapper foreign dignitary.
- Countess Bordoni: Kasnar’s jovial companion.
Loveland Stage Company is excited to announce auditions for Don’t Drink the Water.