EdTA Communications Specialist
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Department: Marketing and Communications
Supervisor: Director of Marketing and Communications
FLSA Status: Permanent part-time
Prepared By: Director of Human Resources
Prepared Date: 9/28/2016
Approved By: Deputy Executive Director
Approved Date: 9/28/2016
The Educational Theatre Association (EdTA) is a professional organization for theatre education with more than 100,000 members nationwide. EdTA’s mission is shaping lives through theatre education by: honoring student achievement in theatre and enriching their theatre education experience; supporting teachers by providing professional development, networking opportunities, resources, and recognition; and influencing public opinion that theatre education is essential and builds life skills. EdTA is the home of the International Thespian Society , an honorary organization that has inducted more than 2.2 million theatre students since its founding in 1929.
Job Purpose: To support the EdTA’s goals, strategies, and tactics by assisting with implementation of marketing and communications activities.
Essential duties and responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned.
Communications support including:
Public relations: support the EdTA strategic goal of enhancing the Association’s stature through drafting and distributing national and local news releases about EdTA programs and member achievements using a service such as Cision/Meltwater. Conduct media monitoring and reporting.
Social media: assist in the development of strategy to create and maintain an optimized social media presence across all of EdTA’s channels, using analytics to inform and adjust strategy.
Communications and content support including:
- Writing promotional copy as needed for print and digital use
- Collaborating on the association’s annual report
- Developing and deploying brand-consistent email using a platform such as RealMagnet
- Graphic support for both print and digital content, such as developing web graphics, infographics, etc.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills
- Deadline driven with strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with an email service provider system
- A track record of measurable success in implementing strategy-driven content and management of social media platforms for an organization including analytical reporting
- A track record of measurable success in media relations and experience with a news release distribution/media monitoring service
- Experience in writing disciplines including marketing collateral, web articles, social media, annual reports, project reports
- Proofreading skills
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and either Illustrator or InDesign, including development of web graphics, infographics, PowerPoints, etc.
- Experience with shooting/editing/posting short-form video for web
- Experience with web content management system
- Familiarity with theatre and other performing arts
- Experience with a non-profit or membership-based organization
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications or related field plus one year professional experience in the marketing communications field or equivalent.
Candidates should send a resume and cover letter to HRManager@schooltheatre.org. Reference “EdTA Job #93016MKT3” in the subject line.
Applications received prior to 10/7/2016, 4pm, will be given priority. No calls, please.