DPH is excited to announce auditions for our summer season extra, EVIL DEAD the Musical!
- April 10th and 11th, 2023 from 7-10pm
Saint John’s Lutheran Church
141 S. Ludlow St, Dayton 45402
If you know where Spaghetti Warehouse is, we are diagonally opposite on the corner of 5th and Ludlow. Parking is off 5th street behind the church.
**AUDITIONS ARE NOT AT THE PLAYHOUSE**
Possible callbacks on April 12th from 7:00-10:00pm if necessary.
Rehearsals begin Friday, April 15th and run every Monday – Friday from 7-10pm.
Performances will take place June 16-25, with a possible extension through July 2nd.
What to bring:
- Please prepare 16-32 bars of a song in the style of the show. Songs from the show are allowed.
- An accompanist will be provided. Please make sure your music is clearly marked and in the correct key. No tracks or acapella auditions, please. If you have any questions, please feel free
to message us.
- There will be a dance call both audition nights; please bring clothes you can
Five college students spend the weekend in an abandoned cabin in the woods, accidentally unleashing an evil terror. In this comedic take on the legendary horror franchise, characters and demons sing and dance to songs written specifically for the musical. The musical takes creative liberty with the plot line of the movies, mixing the characters and concepts of all three, as well as changing sequences for the sake of the stage and comedic intent. Roughly, the first act adapts the original The Evil Dead while the second act adapts Evil Dead II. The show contains large amounts of swearing, violence, and blood effects.
BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and non-binary actors are strongly encouraged to audition. We want a diverse cast!
Please email the director, John Detty, with any questions at ActorJohnDetty@gmail.com.
The role of Ash has been cast.
- Linda (Female – Mezzo-Soprano): The girl next door. Linda is sweet, thoughtful, and completely devoted to Ash, until she turns evil, tries to kill him, and loses her head (literally).
- Cheryl (Female – Mezzo-Soprano): Ash’s sister and the odd woman out in the group. The only one to sense the evil surrounding the cabin, she is the first to be possessed, turning her into an aggressive, foul-mouthed demon that speaks in very bad puns. Spends the majority of the show locked in the cellar. Very energetic role, Must have great comedic timing.
- Scotty (Male – Tenor/Baritone): Good looking, cocky, a prankster and Ash’s best friend. Thinks himself the brave one until he’s forced to kill, then his panic leads him to flee. He returns to
warn Ash about the woods and attempts to help his friend even as he is knocking on death’s door. Returns later as the leader of the deadites in “Do the Necronomicon”.
- Shelly (Female – Mezzo-Soprano): Beautiful, promiscuous, and not too smart. She is Scotty’s latest fling (picked up in a bar three days before the events of the show) and looking to party.
Just because she becomes an evil demon doesn’t mean she can’t look good doing it!
- Annie (Female – Mezzo-Soprano Belter): Quite the overbearing explorer who finds missing pages to the Necronomicon and wants to reunite with her father to continue their research.
Daughter of Prof Knowby. Very bossy and drawn to Ash. Must be comfortable in a tear away semi-revealing costume.
- Ed/Moose (Male – Tenor/Baritone): Annie’s coworker, boyfriend, and doormat. He travels with her to the cabin to proceed with their research of the book of the dead. After turning evil,
his confidence may lack but this “Bit Part Demon” is ready to sing! The actor playing Ed also plays the Kandarian Demon Moose in “Join Us”. Puppetry skills a plus!
- Jake (Male – Tenor): Stereotypical Southerner and reliable enough to help Annie and Ed find the path to the cabin, but too stupid and stubborn to listen to reason that will keep him alive.
Prof Knowby (non-singing): Annie’s father, discovered the book of the dead and brought it to the cabin to translate before going missing. Prof Knowby only appears in the show during the
opening monologue then as a ghost in act 2. Will either double as Shemp or be prerecorded.
- Shemp (flexible, only ensemble singing): the catch all extra member of the cast. Shemp plays many small roles within the show, including Linda’s decapitated body.
All Roles are non-paid, volunteer positions.