The ideal scenic carpenter is a skilled carpenter with knowledge of industry standard theatrical woodworking techniques. The scenic carpenter can read and interpret construction drawings and decide, with help from the Scene Shop Manager, how to safely utilize the correct tools and techniques to complete the task. The scenic carpenter is knowledgeable with basic stationary and portable power tools, as well as basic hand tools.
The scenic carpenter is self-motivated, able to work independently to complete tasks assigned to them safely and quickly without constant and direct oversight. The scenic carpenter can work nights and weekends as needed to ensure the project is completed on time.
The scenic carpenter can work with other members of the company and other members of the community. The scenic carpenter is willing and eager to assist other departments to help fulfill the goals of the company.
- Work in the Scene Shop fabricating scenery for each production under the direction of the Technical Director.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the safe operation of power tools, scenic carpentry and theatrical rigging.
- Prep & load/unload trucks as needed.
- Maintain an organized and clean work environment
- Report to the Scene Shop Manager with any questions or issues throughout the build
- Assist other departments when necessary
- Provide company with support for special events or projects as needed
- BA or equivalent in Theatre, or two years’ experience in scenic construction, or equivalent construction experience
- Must be comfortable working at heights and able to lift/carry 50lbs
- Proficiency with power tools, including, but not limited to: table saw, miter saw, jig saw, pneumatic staplers, hand routers, powered sanders
- Knowledge/experience in MIG welding, scenic painting, tool maintenance and theatrical rigging a plus
- Experience with automation, theatrical lighting and/or sound systems a plus
- Able to read and interpret construction draftings
- Self-motivated, positive, and passionate individual who loves the mission of TCT and can work with a team or independently with a safety-first mentality.
- Excellent time management skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Annual Salary Range: $35,000-40,000
- Ideal Start date: November 7, 2022
- Housing is not provided.
- Health, vision, and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period.
- 403(b) retirement plan participation available, after a waiting period, with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service.
- Generous PTO accrual based on years of service.
- Generous paid holiday schedule.
- Flexible schedule opportunities.
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and the work we do behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, identities, abilities, and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.
Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can come in the form of a video, cover letter/resume, portfolio, and/or demo reels. (Files should be less than 3MB in total, links are welcome). No phone calls, please.
Please submit materials and any references by October 27, 2022 to email@example.com. Subject Line: Scenic Carpenter 2022