Auditions for ONCE ON THIS ISLAND at The Dayton Playhouse.
Oct. 30 & Nov. 1 at 7pm
Here is what Director Aaron Washington will be looking for:
An integral part of the story told in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND includes a history of the island’s color caste system, and its predominantly African heritage. In casting the show, we will be giving strong consideration to that, however, except for the roles of Ti Moune and Daniel (whose ethnicity is noted in the breakdown below), we are open to the possibility of non-traditional casting choices and encourage everyone with a strong voice to audition.
Looking for all actors to be comfortable moving with some needing strong dancing skills.
Production dates: Jan.13-29, 2023
PREPARE A SONG in the style of pop, gospel or contemporary musical theatre that accurately demonstrates your vocal ability and range and have sheet music in the appropriate key. We will provide an accompanist. Auditions with backing tracks will be accepted, however, No a cappella auditions please.
All will take part in a movement/ dance audition. All skill levels will be considered.
Ti Moune is a fearless peasant girl who falls in love with a wealthy boy from the other side of the island. When their divided cultures keep them apart, Ti Moune is guided by the powerful island gods, Erzulie, Asaka, Papa Ge, and Agwe, on a remarkable quest to reunite with the man who has captured her heart.
- LITTLE TI MOUNE – 9 – 12 year old young girl of African descent, who will be instrumental in the story telling.
- TI MOUNE – (High belt) Ti Moune is a peasant girl of African descent. Curious and energetic with an infectious joy for life.
- DANIEL – (Tenor) Daniel is a mix of African and French descent. He is Ti Moune’s love interest, and a member of the ruling class, torn between duty and love.
- MAMA EURALIE – ( Alto) Ti Moune’s adoptive mother. Tries to be stern but has a generous spirit.
- TONTON JULIAN – ( Baritone) Ti Moune’s adoptive father. Gentle with a quiet strength.
- ANDREA – (Mezzo) Daniel’s betrothed, a grande homme.
- ARMAND – (Baritone) Daniel’s father, a grande homme.
- AGWE – (Bass/ Baritone) God of the Sea. Powerful yet playful.
- ASAKA – (Mezzo/ Soprano) Mother of the Earth. Fierce with a wicked sense of humor.
- ERZULIE – (Soprano) Goddess of Love. Warm and kind.
- PAPA GE – Tenor/ Baritenor) The Spirit of Death. A trickster. Lithe and mysterious.
- STORYTELLERS – (All vocal types) 4 -6 Chorus and ensemble members who help create the world of the show.
If you have any additional questions, please email Stage Manager Dawn Roth Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official page | Facebook event|