Mon-Wed, Aug 22-24 from 7-9:30pm
Sorg Opera House
63 S Main St. Middletown
In keeping with the history of Rocky Horror being a show embracing a diverse range of sexualities and gender identities, we are particularly interested in casting actors who identify as members of the LGBTQ+ community.
Make sure to sign up for an audition slot at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080e4badad29a2fa7-therocky
All actors will be required to sing, act, and dance at auditions. Possible call-backs are scheduled for the 24th. You will be notified before you leave the audition space if you are invited to call-backs.
Please dress in comfortable clothing and close-toed shoes for the choreography portion. (If you have heels, yes… men too please bring them for the dance portion) Also anyone who is auditioning for the role of Rocky WILL be asked to remove their shirt as a part of their audition. I mean after all he is a muscular hunk of a man… lol
Please prepare 16-32 bars of a song in the style of the show. PLEASE do not prepare a song from the show. A skilled accompanist will be provided for your audition. Please no acapella or recorded tracks.
Please arrive at the beginning of your audition day. You may not be needed the entire time, but should plan on being available for the full length.
Synopsis: Sweethearts Brad and Janet, stuck with a flat tire during a storm, discover the eerie mansion of Dr. Frank-N-Furter. As their innocence is lost, Brad and Janet meet a houseful of wild characters, including a rocking biker and a creepy butler. Through elaborate dances and rock songs, Frank-N-Furter unveils his latest creation: a muscular man named “Rocky.”
Director: Richard Lee Waldeck
Music Director: Judy Mansky
Choreographer: Anna Rae Brown
Stage Manager: Joshua A. Gibson
Production dates: Oct. 21-23
Note: Frank, Rocky, Janet, Brad, Columbia, Dr. Scott & The Transylvanians will be required to perform in revealing costumes. (Rocky will be in only a speedo for the entire show.) Rocky, Frank, Janet & Brad will be required to perform simulated sexually explicit material.
- USHERETTE: Female, Age Flexible (Range: Mezzo Soprano Belt, Bb3-Eb5) She opens the production singing “Science Fiction/Double Feature”, with Usherette and phantom chorus and then reappears at the end to sing a reprise of that song. This role will be one of the female roles cast as a Transylvanian/Phantom
- MAGENTA: Female, Age Flexible (Range: Mezzo Soprano Belt, Bb3-Eb5) Magenta is a domestic from the planet Transsexual, in the galaxy Transylvania. Her job is simple, keep the castle clean and prepare all meals. And wait on Frank hand and foot. Cater to his every whim. Magenta is fond of her brother Riff Raff, and can be seen laughing at the other’s misery. She is close friends with Columbia. Magenta is not afraid to put her foot down to get her point across, and will be pushy or rude to get what she wants.
- BRAD: Male, 18-35 (Range: Bari Tenor, Bb2-G4) Quirky and overly optimistic at times. An All-American man who proposes to his girlfriend Janet Weiss. However, on the way to meet his old friend and science teacher, Dr. Scott, Brad Majors ends up with a flat tire on his car. He soon finds himself at the mercy of Dr. Frank N Furter, his servants, and ends up confused over his own sexuality after the events in the castle.
- JANET: Female, 18-35 (Range: Mezzo Soprano Belt, A3-Eb5) Good, innocent girl who is madly in love with Brad. Always seems to be frightened of something. Keeps losing more of her clothes throughout the story. Emotionally weak and caves into pressure easily. During her time in the castle, she has sex with both Frank N. Furter and Rocky…the latter prompting pure rage from the former. In the end, she’s also confused about what has occurred, but also realizes the benefits of living a sexually active life.
- NARRATOR: Male, Age Flexible (Range: Non-Singing Role) Follows our two hero’s through the story by narrating directly to the audience.
- RIFF RAFF: Male, Age Flexible (Range: High Rock Tenor, D3-B4) Frank’s personal butler, Riff Raff is a shady character who seems to be up to something. In the end, he kills Frank, Rocky, and Columbia before he and his sister Magenta return to their home planet of Transsexual, Transylvania.
- COLUMBIA: Female, Age Flexible (Range: Mezzo Soprano Belt, E4-E5) One of Frank’s servants. A groupie who is both Frank’s and Eddie’s ex-girlfriend. She starts off as being extremely loyal to Frank. Though, she quickly realizes that he’s simply using her and turns on him. In the end, she’s killed by Riff Raff. Tap Dancing skills are an asset.
- FRANK ‘N’ FURTER: Male Transvestite, 25-45 (Range: Baritone, D3-G4) Master of the castle and of seduction. Welcomes Janet and Brad with open arms. Frank is a Mad Scientist bent on creating the “perfect man,” which he succeeds in doing so by creating Rocky. He’s something of the antagonist, causing all sorts of trouble for Brad and Janet. In the end, he’s killed by Riff Raff.
- ROCKY: Male 18-35, Very Fit, (Range: Tenor, A3-G4) Frank’s beloved creation, Rocky is supposed to be the “perfect man.” However, things don’t go well when Janet seduces him causing Frank to go into a jealous rage. In the end, he’s killed by Riff Raff while mourning the loss of Frank and trying to escape.
- EDDIE/DR. SCOTT: Male, Age Flexible (Range: Baritone, E3-F#4) A former delivery boy who was Columbia’s ex-boyfriend. Half of his brain was used to create Rocky. After escaping from the freezer (and singing a song), Eddie is promptly killed by Frank. Dr. Scott is Brad’s former science teacher and close friend. He ends up at the castle while looking for his nephew, Eddie.
- PHANTOMS / USHERS / USHERETTES – TRANSILVANIANS (SATB)
- Male 1 Backup singer Baritone. Will sing and dance a lot. Includes a lot of easy harmony singing so some choral experience would be helpful.
- Male 2 Backup singer Tenor. Will sing and dance a lot. Includes a lot of easy harmony singing so some choral experience would be helpful.
- (possible)Male 3 Backup singer Britone/Tenor. Will sing and dance a lot. Includes a lot of easy harmony singing so some choral experience would be helpful.
- Female 1 Backup singer Alto. Will sing and dance a lot. Includes a lot of easy harmony singing so some choral experience would be helpful.
- Female 2 Backup singer Soprano. Will sing and dance a lot. Includes a lot of easy harmony singing so some choral experience would be helpful.
- (possible)Female 3 Backup singer Soprano/Alto. Will sing and dance a lot. Includes a lot of easy harmony singing so some choral experience would be helpful.