Mariemont Players is proud to announce upcoming auditions for DEARLY DEPARTED by David Bottrell and Jessie Jones, directed by Aaron Whitehead and produced by Doug Berlon and Dee Anne Bryll.
Auditions will take place on Saturday, July 30th at 2:00 PM and Sunday, July 31st at 7:00 PM.
Interested individuals can sign up for an audition slot here.
Performance dates will be January 12-29, 2023. Rehearsals will begin in November 2022.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. No roles have been pre-cast. Headshot and résumé are appreciated.
Those interested in auditioning for the role of Suzanne will be required to prepare 16-32 measures of a gospel song or hymn of their choice. Vocal auditions will be a cappella; no accompanist will be provided.
Synopsis: In the Baptist backwoods of the Bible Belt, the beleaguered Turpin family proves that living and dying in the South are seldom tidy and always hilarious. Despite their earnest efforts to pull themselves together for their father’s funeral, the Turpins’ other problems keep overshadowing the solemn occasion.
- Raynelle (50s+) – Wife of Bud (the dead fellow) and matriarch of the family. A strong woman, but not one to tolerate any nonsense. She tells it like it is and doesn’t sugarcoat it; when the preacher asks her to describe her dead husband, she says: “Mean and surly.”
- Ray-Bud (30s-40s) – Bud and Raynelle’s older son. Husband of Lucille. Ray-Bud has a more complex, love/hate relationship with his father (and other family members). Easily frustrated, but loves his wife and family greatly. Doubles as
- Lucille (30s-40s) – Ray-Bud’s wife. Has been through a lot, but puts a brave face on and keeps moving forward. Dreams of raising a child after a series of miscarriages.
- Junior (30s) – Bud and Raynelle’s younger son and Ray-Bud’s brother. Not as successful nor as stable as his older brother. His big business idea – a machine that cleans parking lots – didn’t work out so well. Loves his wife and children but is nearing the end of his rope.
- Suzanne (30s) – Junior’s wife. Unlike Lucille, Suzanne doesn’t try to put a brave face on anything. When she is upset, everyone around her is well aware. Frustrated with her position in life. Must be a good singer. See note above about additional audition requirements.
- Marguerite (50s+) – Bud’s sister and Raynelle’s sister-in-law. A busybody. Very much aware of who is and is not on the right side of Jesus and is not shy about letting them know.
- Royce (20s) – Marguerite’s son. Far more laid-back and chill than his mother. Chronically between jobs.
- Delightful (Teens-20s) – Bud and Raynelle’s only daughter, much younger than Ray-Bud and Junior. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Has little to say. Often found sitting and munching on potato chips, dilly bars, etc. Doubles as Nadine.
- Preacher (40s+) – The Preacher has a lot of experience in a small-town church and knows what to say in almost any situation – except the very unusual situations that he faces during the show. Thinks his congregation is prone to “bellyaching.” Doubles as Clyde and
- Juanita (30s-40s) – A former beauty pageant winner (Ms. Yam Queen) who married well and ended up wealthy. Everything seems to go right for her. Doubles as Veda, an older lady who communicates with her husband ENTIRELY THROUGH YELLING (he’s a bit deaf).