HEATHERS the Musical Auditions
Step into our candy store! If you missed the original 2020 auditions, here’s your chance to join the reboot. Centerstage Players is now accepting video auditions for our May 2022 production. We are retaining some of our pre-pandemic cast and as a result some roles are already filled. Listed below are the available roles.
HEATHERS The Musical is the darkly delicious story of Veronica Sawyer, a brainy, beautiful teenage misfit who hustles her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at Westerberg High: the Heathers. But before she can get comfortable atop the high school food chain, Veronica falls in love with the dangerously sexy new kid J.D. When Heather Chandler, the Almighty, kicks her out of the group, Veronica decides to bite the bullet and kiss Heather’s aerobicized ass…but J.D. has another plan for that bullet.
Brought to you by the award-winning creative team of Kevin Murphy (Reefer Madness, “Desperate Housewives”), Laurence O’Keefe (Bat Boy, Legally Blonde) and Andy Fickman (Reefer Madness, She’s the Man). HEATHERS The Musical is a hilarious, heartfelt, and homicidal show based on the greatest teen comedy of all time. With its moving love story, laugh-out-loud comedy, and unflinching look at the joys and anguish of high school, Heathers will be the most heart stopping musical in Cincinnati this season. Are you in or are you out?
Directed by Amanda Borchers
Music Directed by Carolyn Youngquist
Choreographed by Robert Fields
Produced by Mark Culp and Fred Hunt
- Please prepare 32 measures of an up tempo musical theater or contemporary pop piece and submit your recording to firstname.lastname@example.org with Heathers-Centerstage in the subject line.
- You may be asked to perform a cold read from the script via a zoom callback scheduled with the director, creative team, and members of the existing cast. This will only be done if necessary.
- Please include your known rehearsal conflicts for Feb-May 2022 and a theatrical resume.
- Submission Deadline: February 5th, 2022
Casting decisions & notifications will be made by February 7th, 2022
Show dates: April 22-24 & April 29 May 1
Rehearsals will be determined by cast availability, 3 nights per week (likely Monday,Thursday,Sunday from Feb- May) until tech with the possibility of a few optional rehearsals added closer to tech week.
- JD – 17. He is darkly charismatic, compelling, attractive, charming on the outside yet very damaged on the inside. Keen smarts and strong inventive comedy. Voice: Strong, confident belt to at least an Ab, A preferable; wide emotional range.
- HEATHER DUKE – 17. Whipping-girl of the 3 Heathers. When she finally becomes Queen Bee she wields power like a bulldozer. Alto for chorus. Voice: Strong belt to C, D preferred. Alto for chorus. NOTE: in certain choral songs Heather Duke and Mac can switch vocal parts as needed.
- MARTHA DUNNSTOCK – 17. Nicknamed “Martha Dumptruck”, the opposite of hot, confident, or popular. Huge and beautiful soul, optimistic even in the face of rejection. Voice: Strong belt to E or F, wide vocal expression.
- RAM SWEENEY – 17, Linebacker. Big, insensitive to the feelings of others, ruled by appetites. Voice: Strong Baritone, belt to G, some Falsetto useful.
- MS. FLEMING/VERONICA’S MOM – 45 to 50. Ms. Fleming: Aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Hungry for the spotlight, resentful of entitled youth. Also plays Veronica’s Mom: easygoing, distant, yet capable of laying down the law. Voice: Great belt up to C, higher always welcome.
- BOY 1 – Bitter Geek 16-18. A put-upon, bitter geek. Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
- BOY 2 – Blowdried Preppy 16-18. A blowdried 80’s preppy. Voice: Bass (up to E) or Bari (up to G#).
- BOY 3 – Hipster Dork 16-18. Thinks he’s Ducky from ‘Pretty In Pink.’ Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
- GIRL 2 – Stoner Chick 16-18. A fuzzyheaded stoner chick. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
- GIRL 3 – Young Republicanette 16-18. A tennis-playing, uptight Student Council type. Voice: Belt to at least C# (Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).