Job Title: House Manager
Department: Box Office
Reports to: Box Office Manager
Supervises: Volunteer Ushers, Apprentice Assistant House Manager
Part-Time, Hourly (20-30 hours available per production week; schedule varies)
Salary Range: $12–14 per hour
Ensemble Theatre Cincinnati has an immediate need for a dynamic, personable, experienced applicant to work
part-time as House Manager.
Company Description: Founded in 1986 and located in historic Over-the-Rhine, Ensemble Theatre Cincinnati (ETC)
is the region’s second largest professional Equity theatre, and is committed to producing a wide range of dramas,
musicals, and comedies of the highest artistic caliber, as well as to providing education and outreach programs that
focus on providing arts opportunities to economically disadvantaged children and audiences.
Position summary: The House Manager is responsible for ensuring safe and smooth front-of-house operations,
providing a positive patron experience for all guests, and working collaboratively with the production, box office,
security, and facilities staff.
- Responsible for ensuring excellent customer service from front-of-house staff
- Oversee theater and lobbies before, during, and after performances
- Coordinate opening and closing the house and late seating with the Stage Manager and Box Office
- Understand and follow all safety protocols including evacuation procedures
- Manages printed program distribution and secures programs and other patron materials
- Maintains the appearance of the lobby and all public areas; communicates with Facilities as necessary
- Prepare ticket scanners and brief volunteers regarding their roles and show-specific information
- Maintains ticket-scanning equipment, hearing impaired devices, and walkie-talkies for communicating with
- Resolve patron and volunteer issues as they arise
- Coordinates performance timelines with stage management, including preshow chat, curtain speeches,
- Completes and distributes house report for each performance
- Provides leadership in emergency situations, including fire alarm and inclement weather warnings
- Works closely with management to ensure proper staff is in place for all performances
- Works to ensure all house management needs are met
- Work with the Director of Inclusion to ensure ETC’s access program
- Trains, schedules and/or supervises Assistant House Managers and Backup House Managers
- Uphold ETC’s values of diversity, equity, inclusion and access
Required Skills and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent is required
- Theater experience is preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- The ability to remain calm during demanding situations
- Experience, ability, and commitment to working with people who represent an array of gender identities
and sexual orientations; racial, ethnic, and religious identities; body inclusivity; and differing abilities, ideas,
and personal expressions
- The physical demands of the position require walking, stooping, reaching, and manual dexterity
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “House Manager,
Applicant Last Name” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Deadline to apply is September 10, 2021.
Click here to see the official job posting.