Director Michael Schumacher is seeking 5 women and 3 men for the Del Shores dramedy, DADDY’S DYIN: WHO’S GOT THE WILL?
Monday & Tuesday, Aug. 2-3 at 7pm
Troy City Park (Adams Street, Across From Hobart Arena)
Troy, OH 45373
Set in a small Texas town in 1986, DADDY’S DYIN’ concerns the reunion of a family gathered to await the imminent death of their patriarch, who has recently suffered a physically as well as mentally disabling stroke. In essence, however, it is not the story of the impending demise of the father or of the drafting of his will, but of a rebirth of the spirit of the family unit. Without becoming ponderous, losing a sense of humor, or pandering to timeworn clichés about Texans, the story shares many elements of a good summer novel: it’s a fast, delicious, easy read with funny moments, tense moments, touching moments, and characters you care about.
- SARA LEE TURNOVER, 36, the middle sister. The town beautician, single and still lives at home. Strong-willed and has a wonderful sense of humor
- LURLENE TURNOVER ROGERS, 42, the oldest sister. A preacher’s wife and elementary school teacher. Attractive, stylish, very Christian-but she has a bite
- MAMA WHEELIS, 80, the Turnover children’s grand mother and Buford’s mother-in-law. She’s feisty, speaks her mind, and rules the household
- EVALITA TURNOVER, 35, the youngest sister. Six-times married, loves to shock her family. She was a beauty-and still is from a distance. Has a worn look about her. A wounded soul
- HARMONY RHODES, 28-40, Evalita’s latest fiancé. A musician and vegetarian. Attractive, laid-back Californian with a “flowerpower” vibe. Has a past
- ORVILLE TURNOVER, 38, the brother. Abusive, unhappy, and mean. A redneck trash collector. Jealous of his wife’s recent weight loss.
- BUFORD “DADDY” TURNOVER, 62-70, the father. A stroke victim who walks with a slight limp. Has occasional moments of coherency
- MARLENE TURNOVER, 35-38, Orville’s wife. Temporarily overweight. A constant victim of Orville’s abuse. However, losing. sixty-two pounds can boost a girl’s confidence.
Plan to read from the script and be prepared to list all your time conflicts between August 4th and October 3rd. All characters, except Buford, sing on stage so you may be asked to sing a hymn or Christmas song at auditions. The characters of Evalita, Harmony and Marlene all have scenes involving on-stage kissing. All characters, except Harmony will need a Southern (Texas) accent.
Experienced actors/actresses and first-timers welcome! Helpers are also needed for the production crew: set building, set painting, props, costumes, make-up/hair, publicity, and more.