Dare 2 Defy Productions is currently accepting video submissions for CABARET and BACK TO THE 80s!
Please send 1-2 songs in the style of the show to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your headshot and resume. Once we have received your video audition, we will send callback materials. Please upload all videos to YouTube or Vimeo or send via large file transfer service (Dropbox, etc).
All roles are paid, non-union contracts.
If you do not wish to send a video but want to be considered, please email email@example.com and we will schedule you an audition time on the callback dates below. If you cannot attend callbacks, please let us know and we will conduct them over video or set up another time.
CABARET – CALLBACKS ON MONDAY, JULY 12 AT 6PM
BACK TO THE 80S – CALLBACKS ON FRIDAY, JULY 16 AT 6PM
Presented by The Rubi Girls and Square One Salon
Music by John Kander, Lyrics by Fred Ebb
Book by Joe Masteroff
Based on the play by John Van Druten and Stories by Christopher Isherwood
Directed by Philip Drennen
Rehearsals begin Sept 7
Presented Oct 14-16 at the PNC Arts Annex
Daring, provocative and exuberantly entertaining, Cabaret explores the dark and heady life of Bohemian Berlin as Germany slowly yields to the emerging Third Reich.
Casting Adults 18+ of all ethnicities and gender identities for all roles
**Please note that the roles of the Emcee and Fraulein Schneider have been cast
- SALLY BOWLES – A British Cabaret singer at the Kit Kat Klub
Vocal Range – Low A to High C – Strong Belt A quirky character that comes across as flighty – yet at times struggles with knowing the darkness of the reality of her life as a cabaret performer. Comfortable with stage movement and light dance Age Range 20s to 30s. Speaks with a British Accent.
- CLIFFORD BRADSHAW – An American novelist and English teacher traveling to Berlin
Vocal Range – Low A to High E – Tenor Presented as a closeted gay man exploring his sexuality. Comfortable with stage movement and light dance Age range Late 20s to Mid 30s. Speaks with an American accent.
- HERR SCHULTZ – One of Fraulein Schneider’s roomers and the proprietor of a Fruit Shop. Vocal Range – Low G to High F Age Range 40+ . Speaks with a German accent.
- FRAULEIN KOST – Another of Fraulein Schneider’s roomers.
Vocal Range – Low A flat to High F – Alto/Mezzo She earns money by offering favours to sailors. Age Range – 20s to 40s. Speaks with a German accent.
- ERNST LUDWIG – A friendly and Likeable German Sings in the Chorus
Vocal range – flexible Takes English lessons from Cliff and smuggles funds for the Nazi Party. Age Range – 25+. Speaks with a German accent.
- KIT KAT GIRLS – Kit Kat Club Performers and Various Features
Vocal Range – Strong Singers in all voice parts. The individuals will also be part of various scenes as performers and as club patrons. Features (“Two Ladies,” “Telephone Dance,” etc.) will be drawn from this group. Strong dance skills required. Age Range – 18+.
- MALE ENSEMBLE – Kit Kat Klub Waiters and Patrons and Various Features
Vocal Range – Strong Singers in all voice parts. Features (Bobby, Victor, “Tomorrow Belongs to Me,” etc.) will be drawn from this group. Strong dance skills required. Age Range – 18+.
BACK TO THE 80s
Written by Neil Gooding, Additional Material by Stuart Smith
Revised Orchestrations and Arrangements by Brett Foster
Original Musical Adaptation by Scott Copeman
Directed by Becki Norgaard
Rehearsals begin July 26
Presented September 3-4 at The Victoria Theater
From the era that brought the world the Rubik’s Cube, Max Headroom and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comes the “totally awesome” musical Back to the 80’s. In the style of movies such as Back to the Future, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and The Karate Kid, Back to the 80’s is a nostalgic romp through the greatest hits of the decade.
Casting actors who are or can convincingly play high school students, all ethnicities and gender identities for all roles
**The roles of Michael and Mrs. Brannigan have been cast
- COREY PALMER (SENIOR) – The narrator of the show. Corey Snr is pushing 30, living in the year 2000, and reminiscing about the 80s (his school days), and his love for Tiffany Houston.
- COREY PALMER (JUNIOR) – He is 17 and in his Senior Year. A very likeable, very ordinary American teenager.
- ALF BUELLER – One of Corey Junior’s two best friends. A likeable teenager, only just coming out of childhood.
- KIRK KEATON – Corey’s other best friend. Corey, Alf and Kirk are very close, but they are rather naïve, particularly about women.
- TIFFANY HOUSTON – One of the group of girls that “Just Wanna Have Fun”. A cute, bubbly teenage female from the 80s, innocent, naïve and doe-eyed about boys and love – aspiring to be Cyndi Lauper and Madonna rolled into one.
- CYNDI GIBSON – One of Tiffany’s best friends. More street-smart than Tiffany, Cyndi knows that boyfriends are a passport to attention and presents.
- MEL EASTON – Another one of the inner click of “The Cool Girls”. An all-singing, all-dancing party girl.
- KIM EASTON – The twin sister of Mel – although for ease of casting, they will probably be fraternal, not identical.
- BILLY ARNOLD – One of Michael Feldman’s posse. Another popular, good-looking, athletic guy. The kind of person that every 17 year old wants to be (particularly if they are not popular, good-looking or athletic!!)
- LIONEL ASTLEY – Lionel is fairly similar to Billy. Not quite as cool as the others, but because he is in the group, the girls put up with him anyway.
- HUEY JACKSON – The final guy to round out the group of Michael Feldman’s friends. Not much else to be said – big hair, wears clothes that were cool at the time, but now just look like fluorescent mismatches of colour.
- FEARGAL McFERRIN – The school nerd.
- EILEEN REAGAN – The new arrival, charming, full of life and vitality – and a dreamer who lovingly longs for the day when she has a boyfriend.
- LAURA WILDE – One of the girls that adopts Eileen into their group when she arrives at the school.
- DEBBIE FOX – Laura’s best friend. Both girls have trouble distinguishing between reality (i.e. that they have had no boyfriends) and fantasy (that they are married to Neil Patrick Harris).
- MR STEVIE COCKER – The Deputy Principal and maths teacher at William Ocean High School. One of only two teachers who will appear in the show. Stevie sees a future together with Sheena, but has major problems when he discovers he is dating a former centrefold (even though she is now a respectable, conservative English teacher.)