Xenia Area Community Theater (XACT) is holding open auditions for local playwright and retired theater professor Brenda Hubbard’s play CONCRETE DREAMS, “a serious rural comedy” on Monday and Tuesday June 29 and 30 from 7 – 9:30 pm at XACT, 45 East Second Street, Xenia, OH. All 4 roles are open.
Auditions are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY and are cold readings of the script. When you make an appointment a .pdf of the script will be e mailed to you. Those wishing to review the script first may of course also request one. To make an appointment/request a script, or ask a question, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The production is scheduled for October 16-25, 2020. Due to the COVID19 closure of theaters, after casting is complete actors will be sent the script and asked to memorize their lines. In-theater rehearsals are expected to begin roughly 5 weeks before the October 16 opening night.
The setting is a SOHIO service station in 1960’s Greene County, Ohio.
- Virgil Kemp, age 44. Spends all his free time fishing. Reads every magazine he can get his hands on, can quote the Bible and has taken on a maternal role in the family. Loved a girl once – she left him at the altar
- Leona – 42. A trophy winning stock car driver. Likeable, insecure, always tries to make everyone happy. Married to an alcoholic, with 3 kids, and works as a waitress.
- Louie Kemp, age 42. Lovable, cocky man/child, and a decent car mechanic. Has had a string of girlfriends, but they don’t stay around very long
- Daddy, age 79. Frail looking, but still a force to be reckoned with. Calls the shots at the service station. No nonsense.
Here are the pages auditionees will be expected to read:
- Virgil and Louie- page 7-8
- Daddy- page 29 monologue
- Leona, Virgil, Louie- 36-38
- Virgil and Louie – all men reading for these parts should look at the monologue on 45-46