BCT announces OPEN AUDITIONS for IT’S ONLY A PLAY by Terrence McNally
It’s the opening night of The Golden Egg on Broadway, and the wealthy producer Julia Budder is throwing a lavish party in her lavish Manhattan townhouse. Downstairs the celebrities are pouring in, but the real action is upstairs in the bedroom, where a group of insiders have staked themselves out to await the reviews. The group includes the excitable playwright; the possibly unstable wunderkind director; the pill-popping leading lady, treading the boards after becoming infamous in Hollywood; and the playwright’s best friend, for whom the play was written but who passed up this production for a television series. Add to this a drama critic who’s panned the playwright in the past and a new-in-town aspiring singer, and you have a prime recipe for the narcissism, ambition, childishness, and just plain irrationality that infuse the theatre—and for comedy. But don’t worry: This play is sure to be the hit they have all been hoping for.
Production Dates: April 24 – May 3, 2020
Directed by Debra Kent
Produced by Mary Mathieu
Audition Dates: Monday and Tuesday, March 2 and 3, 2020, at 7:00 p.m.
Beavercreek Community Theatre – 3868 Dayton Xenia Rd, Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
For further information contact the director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
(NOTE: If you cannot attend auditions and need an earlier audition time, please contact the director.)
- Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
- A résumé and headshot are not required, but are encouraged.
- Please bring all scheduling conflicts between March 2 and May 3, 2020.
- PETER AUSTIN – The Playwright. Younger rather than older. Everything is riding on tonight.
- JULIA BUDDER – The Producer. A genuinely nice person.
- IRA DREW – The Critic. Wears glasses and has food stains on his tie.
- FRANK FINGER – The Director. Soon to be knighted.
- VIRGINIA NOYES – The Star. She wears an electronic bracelet on her ankle.
- JAMES WICKER – The Best Friend, probably over 50. He used to be a stage actor.
- GUS P. HEAD – Young Man, temporary help for the party. Fresh off the farm.