St. Paul Players announce auditions for their March production STEEL MAGNOLIAS by Robert Harling
Directed by Nate Huitger
Audition dates and times:
- Monday December 16th and Wednesday December 18th at 7:00 pm.
- Saturday 21st by appointment please email at email@example.com
St. Paul Lutheran Church 106 Maple St. Reading, Ohio 45215
Parking Lot for the Church is 121 Willow St. Reading, Ohio 45215
Any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org
Performance dates: March 6-15
Auditions consist of cold readings from the script.
The action is set in Truvy’s beauty salon in Chinquapin, Louisiana, where all the ladies who are “anybody” come to have their hair done. Helped by her eager new assistant, Annelle (who is not sure whether or not she is still married), the outspoken, wise-cracking Truvy dispenses shampoos and free advice to the town’s rich curmudgeon, Ouiser, (“I’m not crazy, I’ve just been in a bad mood for forty years”); an eccentric millionaire, Miss Clairee, who has a raging sweet tooth; and the local social leader, M’Lynn, whose daughter, Shelby (the prettiest girl in town), is about to marry a “good ole boy.” Filled with hilarious repartee and not a few acerbic but humorously revealing verbal collisions, the play moves toward tragedy when, in the second act, the spunky Shelby (who is a diabetic) risks pregnancy and forfeits her life. The sudden realization of their mortality affects the others, but also draws on the underlying strength—and love—which give the play, and its characters, the special quality to make them truly touching, funny and marvelously amiable company in good times and bad.
- Truvy Jones (40 ish) Owner of the beauty shop.
- Annelle Dupuy-Desoto (Late teens to early 20’s) Beauty shop assistant.
- Clairee Belcher (Mid 60”s) Widow of former mayor. Grande dame.
- Shelby Eatenton-Latcherie (Mid 20’s) prettiest girl in town.
- M”Lynn Eatenton (50 ish) Shelby’s mother. Socially prominent career woman.
- Ouiser (pronounced “Weezer”)Boudreaux (mid 60’s) Wealthy curmudgeon. Acerbic but loveable.