Directed by Dawn Roth-Smith
Musical direction by Andrew Hackworth
Choreographed by Jeffrey Payne
Where: Dayton Playhouse, 1301 Siebenthaler Ave, Dayton, OH
When: November 4 and 5, 2019 at 7:00 PM
The Dayton Playhouse will hold auditions for the musical MAN OF LA MANCHA on two nights, Monday and Tuesday, November 4 and 5, 2019 at the Playhouse beginning at 7:00 PM. No reservations are necessary, but the vocal audition will be closed…only the Director, staff and an accompanist will be with you during your vocal audition.
If you absolutely cannot make this time frame, contact the director at email@example.com.
Performance dates: Jan. 17-Feb. 2
- Vocal: Please prepare 16 bars of a musical theatre style song, bring your sheet music with cuts clearly marked. No Pop music, rock or country. Acapella auditions will not be considered.
- Dance: Wear clothes appropriate for a light choreography audition including closed toed shoes. You will be taught and then perform a short movement routine.
- Actors: We will also be asking some of you to stay and read from the script after vocal auditions. No monologues are necessary.
About the show:
The musical takes place in a Spanish prison, filled with characters who have all been accused of crimes against The Church. During the Spanish Inquisition people from many different walks of life, countries, religions (Jews, Muslims, Gypsies, Non Catholic Christians), and anyone who spoke ill of The Church were arrested and had to face a trial –and often times torture.
The writer Miguel de Cervantes and his manservant make their living as tax collectors, but soon find themselves imprisoned after being accused of “crimes against The Church.” Now facing the wrath of their fellow inmates, Cervantes must persuade the unruly bunch not to burn his prized manuscript — by performing it for them. With the help of their reluctant fellow captives, they begin the tale of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.
We will cast the best performers, there are no pre-set notions regarding race, size, mobility, or gender.
Characters/Vocal Ranges noted for soloist- almost everyone sings in this show
- Cervantes/Don Quixote Tenor/High Baritone
Miquel de Cervantes is the director of the play within this play, and the lead actor.
- Sancho Panza Tenor
Sancho is very much the stage manager and supporting actor of the manuscript, it is very important to him to get everything just right for Cervantes.
- Aldonza/Dulcinea Mezzo-Soprano
Female prisoner, reluctant to participate, but has a change of heart.
- Antonia Soprano Female prisoner, eager to help out
- Fermina Female prisoner
- Maria Female prisoner
- Housekeeper Alto (high range) Female prisoner
- Barber Tenor Prisoner, featured
- Padre Tenor/High Baritone Prisoner, featured
- Dr. Carrasco/ Duke Baritone/Tenor Male prisoner, educated, Featured
- Innkeeper/Governor Baritone Male prisoner, Featured
- Captain of the Inquisition Non-Singing role, Cameo
- Jose Male prisoner, Chorus
- Tenorio Male prisoner, Chorus
- Paco Male prisoner, Chorus
- Juan Male prisoner, Chorus
- Anselmo (Tenor +Falsetto) Male Prisoner, Chorus, Featured
- Pedro Male prisoner, Head Muleteer
- Gypsies (Moors) Prisoners, Dancers