Starting Date: Flexible, as early as 7/15/19
Know Theatre of Cincinnati, a 99 seat contemporary theatre company in its 22nd season, seeks a passionate, energized candidate to join its small, but mighty, team of full time employees as Design and Production Associate, with a focus on Scenic Art and Props Design.
Know Theatre is Cincinnati’s Theatrical Playground. The Know showcases unexpected voices, new works, and plays that embrace the inherent theatricality of the live experience. Know Theatre seeks to be a place where artists and audiences feel welcome to take artistic risks, creating work that is cutting edge and accessible.
As one of only a handful of theatres around the country led by a designer, Know Theatre prides itself on the production values it can achieve on a limited budget.
Know Produces 5-8 MainStage productions per season on a year round schedule, along with several smaller scale Second Stage productions and special events designated as “Irregular Programming.”
Know also produces the annual Cincinnati Fringe Festival, a 14 day festival with pop up venues throughout Know’s Historic Neighborhood, Over-the-Rhine.
The Design & Production Associate Position at Know Theatre encompasses responsibilities that bridge a number of traditional theatrical jobs.
These responsibilities can be broken down into several categories.
– Scenic Charge
– Props Designer
The Design & Production Associate is also responsible for fulfilling duties some of which are shared by all company members, which shall be noted as Company Duties.
Duties under each of these categories include, but are not limited to, the following.
– Creates paint samples for approval by Scenic Designers and the Artistic Director
– Mixes all color
– Is responsible for paint and surface treatment on all scenic elements
– Is responsible for carving or otherwise sculpting scenic elements such as stone, tree bark, etc. as well as all necessary surface texturing
– Applies protective coatings where necessary
– Coordinates and supervises any additional paint staff
– Maintains the safety, order, and cleanliness of all paint areas
– Maintains all paint equipment
– Instructs stage management and running crew in the proper care and maintenance of finished surfaces
– Creates a touch up kit for use during the run of the show
– Provides touch up to scenery and props as needed, when it falls outside of the scope of the Stage Manager’s skill set
– Attends all production meetings
– Collaborates with Director, Scenic Designer and Stage Management to create and update prop lists for all MainStage and SecondStage productions.
– Works directly with directors and Scenic Designer to establish priorities and keep expenditures within predetermined time and budget constraints based on approved final designs.
– Determines or approves approaches, procedures, and techniques to create or acquire all hand props, furniture, and set dressing for the production.
– Conducts research and development of unusual properties concepts. Facilitates the creation of prototypes for rehearsals and/or production meetings as necessary.
– Pulls from storage, purchases, rents, borrows, or builds all props as needed.
– Schedules and coordinates properties load-in for the production, communicating with stage crew and stage management regarding instructions and expectations.
– Responds to stage management communication regarding props issues as needed.
– Advises stage crew regarding maintenance and repair of props as needed.
– Schedules and coordinates properties strike, ensuring responsible return of borrowed/loaned props.
– Maintains accurate records of expenditures and responsibly handle purchasing funds.
– Coordinates furniture rental, borrow, or acquisition in conjunction with the technical director.
– Maintains property stock and storage.
– Serves as additional carpenter as available.
– May serve as technician on Second Stage productions as needed.
– Serves as a Venue Technician during the Cincinnati Fringe Festival.
– Serves as House Manager, Box Officer, technician, and/or bartender as available/required.
– Answers phones during regular office hours when available.
– Participates in facilities cleanup and maintenance as needed.
Specific duties may be altered based on candidate’s skill set and interest.
Scenic Design opportunities may be available as time, skill, interest, and budget permits.
– This is a full time salaried position at $432.70 per week, paid bi-monthly ($22,500 annually).
– Health insurance coverage is available through Know Theatre’s group plan.
– Each full time Know Theatre employee is accorded 2 weeks of vacation per fiscal year. Vacation is scheduled as can be accommodated by KTC’s production schedule.
– Bachelor’s Degree in technical theatre, theatrical design, or equivalent professional experience.
– Experience in scenic art and props construction.
– Expertise in a wide variety of paint and surface treatment techniques.
– Experience with Vectorworks and/or Autocad.
– Excellent technical and budget management skills.
– Familiarity with sound and lighting equipment and consoles.
– Proficiency with standard office software.
– Clear and effective communicator, both written and verbal. Ability to work independently or collaboratively with designers, directors and other staff.
– Experience in managing crews.
– Strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
– Theatrical background and understanding of the theatrical process.
– Ability to multi-task and work with deadlines. Must have ability to plan projects and work independently.
– Ability to remain calm and productive in difficult situations demonstrating good “people skills” and a sense of humor.
– Ability to work long hours, including weekends and evenings, as necessary during technical rehearsals.
– Ability to lift 50 lbs and handle extensive standing, walking, and step-climbing.
– High level of comfort on ladders.
– Possession of a valid Driver’s license.
Know Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to have our work and the artists who make it reflect the diversity of our community and the world around us. Applicants from all backgrounds are both welcomed and encouraged to apply.
For questions or to apply, please send cover letter and resume with references to email@example.com.