The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati (TCT) is seeking a highly skilled Properties Master. The Properties Master will assist the acclaimed organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. Note: While this is an 11-month contracted position, it has great potential to evolve into a full-time position next June.
TCT is committed to dismantling structures which may prevent anyone from applying for employment with us. Please submit by any means that you would like (Cover letter, video, video letter, resume, portfolio, etc.). It is important to submit whatever best represents you and your work. Include and highlight any skills or experiences you think would be most crucial to this position. Letters of recommendation and/or professional references are welcome. You may submit via email to: email@example.com, Subject line: PROP MASTER SUBMISSION by June 17th, 2019!
The Properties Master will have the opportunity to work with a team of dedicated artists to create props for whimsical stories to inspire and entertain the next generation of theatre lovers. The Properties Master will be directly responsible for obtaining and creating props for TCT’s Productions and promotional events, in collaboration with the design, production, and artistic teams. They will be responsible for maintaining, tracking, and organizing additions to our prop stock as well as coordinating arrangements and documents for props leaving storage for use within the company or for an outside rental.
The Properties Master should be available for production meetings, technical and dress rehearsals and other meetings as assigned and meet the deadlines established by the Technical Director (TD) and Production Stage Manager.
The Properties Master will have access to a company vehicle for transporting items as necessary, tools, stock, and facility use in our Scenic Shop. Standard health and safety protocol must be used when working in the shop.
The ideal candidate should be able to creatively blend existing stock with their own design, build props from scratch, or purchase creative solutions to satisfy the director’s vision for the productions within budget.
Minimum Skills and Qualifications
- Experience with photoshop(or like software), carpentry, woodworking, sewing, crafting, upholstery, and artistic painting
- Working knowledge of basic electrics and implementing electronic functions
- Able to work with power tools
- Basic puppet building, welding
- Driving up to a 26’ Box Truck and forklift operations a plus
- Able to lift up to 75lbs with assistance.
- Create or otherwise obtain props for all MainStage and Touring productions
- Produce quality work within a given deadline and in adherence with the production schedule
- Creative Shopping for necessary materials with budgetary mindfulness
- Track spending, retain receipts, and submit expense reports to TD
- Alter existing props to fit the scenic designer and director’s vision
- Check-in with the directors on props with specific vision or needs
- Coordinate transportation with the TD of props to and from TCT and outside locations
- Repair and maintain props as necessary during performance
- Create a master prop list for each show with Stage Management Teams
- Read and respond to daily rehearsal and performance reports in a timely manner
- Build relationships with other arts organizations, share prop stock as available
TCT Season Timeline
The Properties Master will work within the following timeline:
SEASON PREP: (July)
Re-Organize and prep prop storage; Prepare and transport props for upcoming Touring rehearsals of the first two productions; Assist summer programming with prop check out and return; Attend production and design meetings as assigned.
TCT ON TOUR (smaller shows performed with 4 actors)
- SUFFRAGETTES: With Liberty and Voting for All: Rehearses Aug. 5-16 (Strike Nov. 4, 2019)
- DOROTHY IN OZ: Rehearses Aug 19-30, 2019 (Strike May 31st, 2020)
- MRS. CLAUS SAVES THE DAY: Rehearses Nov. 4-15(Strike Dec. 22, 2019)
- CORETTA SCOTT KING: Rehearses Jan. 6-17, 2020(Strike May 31, 2020)
TCT ON TOUR (One-Person touring shows)
- BAH-HUMBUG: Rehearses Nov. 4-15 (Strike Dec. 22, 2019) (Remount! Show Props Exist)
- HARRIET TUBMAN: Rehearses Jan 6-17, 2020 (Strike April 1, 2020) (Minimal Props)
- CINDERELLA WORE COWBOY BOOTS: Rehearsals begin April 1, 2020 (Strike TBD) (Minimal Props)
TCT MAINSTAGE (large scale, Broadway-style shows at The Taft Theatre)
- CASPER THE FRIENDLY MUSICAL: Rehearsals begin Sept. 7 (Strike Oct. 21, 2019)
- A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS: Rehearsals begin Nov. 4 (Strike Dec. 16, 2019)
- ANNIE JR.: Rehearsals begin Jan 25, 2020 (Strike March 9, 2020)
- ROALD DAHL’S MATILDA THE MUSICAL.: Rehearsals begin March 14, 2020 (Load out May 4, 2020)
Contract Amount: $25K