The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati is seeking a Properties Master for the 2019-2020 Season. The Properties Master will assist the organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming.
The Properties Master will have the opportunity to work with a talented team of dedicated artists to create props for whimsical stories to inspire and entertain the next generation of theatre lovers. The Properties Master will be directly responsible for obtaining props for TCT’s Productions and promotional events, in collaboration with the design, production, and artistic teams. They will be responsible for maintaining, tracking, and organizing additions to our prop stock as well as coordinating arrangements and documents for props leaving storage for use within the company or for an outside rental.
The Properties Master should be available for production meetings prior to and during the rehearsal process, technical and dress rehearsals as assigned and to meet the deadlines for completed show designs.
The Properties Master will have access to a company vehicle for transporting items as necessary, tools, stock, and facility use in our Scenic Shop. Standard health and safety protocol must be used when working in the shop.
The ideal candidate should be able to creatively blend existing stock with their own design, building props from scratch, or purchasing creative solutions to satisfy the director’s vision for the productions in the 2019-2020 season within budget constraints. This person would hold the skills listed below and be able to complete the following tasks for all MainStage and Touring productions:
- Must have experience with photoshop, carpentry, woodworking, sewing, crafting, upholstery, and artistic painting
- Must have working knowledge of electrics and implementing electronic functions
- Must be able to work with power tools
- Basic puppet building, welding, 26’ Box Truck driving, and forklift skills is a plus
- Able to lift up to 75lbs with assistance.
- Create or otherwise obtain props for all MainStage and Touring productions
- Produce quality work within a given deadline and in adherence with the production schedule
- Shop for necessary materials with budgetary mindfulness
- Keep documents to track spending and retain receipts
- Alter existing props to fit the scenic designer and director’s vision
- Conduct progress check-ins with the directors on props with specific vision or needs
- Coordinate transportation of props to and from TCT and outside locations with the technical director
- Repair and maintain props as necessary during performance periods
- Create a master prop list for each show with Stage Management Teams
- Read and respond to daily rehearsal and performance reports in a timely manner
- Build relationships with other arts organizations, share prop stock as available
The Properties Master would work within the following timeline:
SEASON PREP: (June 15-July 31st)
Re-Organize and clean prop storage; Prepare and transport props for upcoming rehearsals; Assist summer programming with prop check out and return; Attend production and design meetings as assigned.
TCT ON TOUR (smaller shows performed with 4 actors)
- SUFFRAGETTES: With Liberty and Voting for All: Rehearses Aug. 5-16 (Strike Nov. 4, 2019)
- DOROTHY IN OZ: Rehearses Aug 19-30, 2019 (Strike May 31st, 2020)
- CLAUS SAVES THE DAY: Rehearses Nov. 4-15 (Strike Dec. 22, 2019)
- CORETTA SCOTT KING: Rehearses Jan. 6-17, 2020 (Strike May 31, 2020)
TCT ON TOUR (One-Person shows)
- BAH-HUMBUG: Rehearses Nov. 4-15 (Strike Dec. 22, 2019)
- HARRIET TUBMAN: Rehearses Jan 6-17, 2020 (Strike April 1, 2020)
- CINDERELLA WORE COWBOY BOOTS: Rehearsals begin April 1, 2020 (Strike TBD)
TCT MAINSTAGE (larger scale, broadway-style shows at The Taft Theatre)
- CASPER THE FRIENDLY MUSICAL: Rehearsals begin Sept. 7 (Strike Oct. 21, 2019)
- A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS: Rehearsals begin Nov. 4 (Strike Dec. 16, 2019)
- ANNIE JR.: Rehearsals begin Jan 25, 2020 (Strike March 9, 2020)
- ROALD DAHL’S MATILDA THE MUSICAL.: Rehearsals begin March 14, 2020 (Load out May 4, 2020)
This is an 11-month contract with a stipend of $25,000, divided into 22 payments and paid bi-monthly.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, references and portfolio of past work via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 29th, 2019.
Please visit www.thechildrenstheatre.com to discover everything that The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati is working on!