GENERAL AUDITIONS & CALLBACKS
JANUARY 5, 2019
The audition location will be provided with your audition packet. For materials contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will be working with materials from the show. You will not need to prepare your own music.
- To receive callback materials, please send your headshot/resume to email@example.com.
VIOLET SHOW DATES
The PNC Arts Annex
March 13 – 23, 2019
Tentative rehearsal start date January 28, 2019
Rehearsals will be Mon – Thurs evenings | Some Saturdays.
- Please provide a list of all known conflicts at your audition.
- Everyone will not be called to all rehearsals.
- All roles are paid non-union.
All roles are available and we are seeking one female to play early teens and 10 adults of any age and ethnicity. Please see casting breakdown below.
- VIOLET – Female, 20s-early 30s, mezzo
A young North Carolina woman whose face was scarred in a childhood accident. She is stubborn and prickly but filled with equal parts hope and obsession that she may heal and be made beautiful.
- FLICK – Male, 20-early 30s, bari-tenor
African-American soldier; a dreamer and go-getter. There is something gentle, good about him, not to be interpreted or confused with weakness or lack of authority.
- MONTY – Male, early-mid 20s, tenor
A paratrooper and Flick’s friend from basic training. Rough around the edges. Self-consumed, but not necessarily purposefully so. Likes being the center of attention.
- FATHER – Male, 20s-40s, baritone
A simple, widowed man who lovingly raises his daughter alone doing the best he can with the little knowledge and resources he has to do so. Stern but friendly, smart but uneducated. Accidentally scars Violet’s face while he is chopping wood.
- YOUNG VI – Female, to play convincingly 11-15, mezzo
Not quite as guarded or prickly as her older self, but still tough and stubborn. She has a keen curiosity and the rough edges of being brought up solely by her father.
- GOSPEL SOLOIST – Female, any age, mezzo
A member of the volunteer choir that sings for the Preacher’s telecast. Sings for God with passion and power. African-American. Actor doubles as Landlady and Woman Knitting.
- OLD LADY – Female, any age, alto/mezzo
A former beauty in her heyday. Staunch, tired and frustrated with life. Actor doubles as Hotel Hooker and Old Lady 2.
- PREACHER – Male, 30-40 yrs old, bari-tenor
An impassioned, theatrical man who preaches with all the bravado he can muster. Once had a true healing touch but has lost it in his quest to become a showman. Dismissive and egotistical. Actor doublings include Bus Drive, Rufus, Radio Singer, and Bus Driver 4.
- ADDITIONAL ROLES – Male/Female – any age
All types, gender, ages, and ethnicities. Roles include Radio Hall Singer, Billy Dean, Virgil, bus drivers, a waiter, members of the gospel choir, passengers on the bus, etc.
To receive callback materials, please send your headshot/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org