CCM pairs two of Puccini’s most popular operas SUOR ANGELICA and GIANNI SCHICCHI for its next Mainstage production on March 22-25, 2018!
CINCINNATI, OH—The University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music’s Sesquicentennial Mainstage Series presents a pair of operas with music by Giacomo Puccini and librettos by Giovacchino Forzano on March 22-25, 2018 in Patricia Corbett Theater. Suor Angelica’s tragic story focuses on a young nun who is serving penance for conceiving an illegitimate child, while Gianni Schicchi is a comedic opera about a family who tries to alter a large inheritance to their favor.
CCM graduate students are directing each production; Meredith Kitz directs Suor Angelica, while Andreas Hager directs Gianni Schicchi. CCM Director of Orchestra Studies Mark Gibson conducts the opera double bill.
“Suor Angelica and Gianni Schicchi work well together because they are so different,” Hager says. “The former takes religion and social order very seriously, while the latter completely skewers the awful and rich Donati family.”
“In Suor Angelica, God is the moral compass, but Gianni Schicchi is about flesh and desire, with both the good and bad urges in every human.”
The unique challenges of Gianni Schicchi are twofold, according to Hager; even though the opera is only about an hour long, it is vocally demanding of its leading singers, and those who play members of the Donati family music be completely coordinated with one another for long periods of time. In this way, the family acts as one large, nearly farcical character.
“We’re lucky at CCM to have students with the musical training to negotiate the complicated ensembles and the physical and mental stamina to execute precise comedic timing, often running around the stage at full speed — literally like chickens at one moment,” Hager says.
“The cast has been so supportive of each other, and they have been coming to rehearsal with a complete willingness to play. For me, that’s the essential ingredient to creating a Gianni Schicchi that is funny, moving and perhaps even a bit profound.”
Suor Angelica will last 1 hour and will be followed by a 15-minute intermission. Gianni Schicchi will last 1 hour.
- Mark Gibson, conductor
- Meredith Kitz, director (Suor Angelica)*
- Andreas Hager, director (Gianni Schicchi)*
- Theron Wineinger, scenic designer*
- Oliver Tidwell Littleton, lighting designer*
- Rin Marie Schwob, hair and make-up designer*
- Sidney Martin, props master*
- Hankyu Lee, sound designer*
- Chelsea D. Taylor, stage manager (Suor Angelica)*
- Margo Leist, stage manager (Gianni Schicchi)*
- Ashley Trujilo, costume designer*
- Marie-France Lefebvre, musical preparation
- Caitlin Gotimer*, Nicolette Book^ as Sister Angelica
- Amber Fasquelle*, Karis Tucker^ as The Princess
- Brenda Iglesias-Zarco as The Abbess
- Briana Moynihan as The Monitress
- Mia Athey as The Mistress of the Novices
- Claire Lopatka*, Allison Anderson^ as Sister Genovieffa
- Hannah Consenz as Sister Osmina
- Madeline Jentsch as Sister Dolcina
- Rebecca Printz as The Nursing Sister
- Amber R. Monroe as Alms Sister 1
- Victoria Okafor as Alms Sister 2
- Amanda Olea as Novice
- Yewoon Yeon as Lay Sister 1
- Natalie Sheppard as Lay Sister 2
- Mercer May Barton as Griffin
- Jonathan Stinson*, Samson McCrady^ as Gianni Schicchi
- Teresa Perrotta*, Lisa Rogali^ as Lauretta
- Brandon Scott Russell*, Chandler Johnson^ as Rinuccio
- Rebecca Printz*, Abigail Hoyt^ as Zita
- Dongwhi (Tony) Baek*, Tyler Jonson^ as Gherardo
- Murrella Parton*, Amy Joy Stephens^ as Nella
- Daniel Roger Lefebvre Chaitkin as Gherardino
- John Siarris*, Antonio Cruz^ as Betto di Signa
- Michael Hyatt as Simone
- Zane Hill as Marco
- Briana Moynihan as La Ciesca
- Antonio Cruz*, John Siarris^ as Maestro Spinelloccio
- Miles Wilson-Toliver as Ser Amantio di Nicolao
- Joshua Cook as Pinellino
- De’Ron McDaniel as Guccio
* Thursday, March 22 & Saturday, March 24
^ Friday, March 23 & Sunday, March 25
- 8 p.m. Thursday, March 22
- 8 p.m. Friday, March 23
- 8 p.m. Saturday, March 24
- 2 p.m. Sunday, March 25
Patricia Corbett Theater, CCM Village, University of Cincinnati
Tickets are $31-35 for adults, $22-25 for non-UC students and $18-21 for UC students with a valid ID.
Student rush tickets will be sold one hour before each performance to non-UC students for $12 or $15, based on availability. UC students can receive one free student rush ticket with a valid ID, based on availability.
Tickets can be purchased in person at the CCM Box Office, over the telephone at 513-556-4183 or online at ccm.uc.edu/boxoffice/mainstage/gianni-schicchi-suor-angelica.
Parking and Directions
Parking is available in the CCM Garage (located at the base of Corry Boulevard off Jefferson Avenue) and additional garages throughout the campus of the University of Cincinnati. Please visit uc.edu/parking for more information on parking rates.
For detailed maps and directions, please visit uc.edu/visitors. Additional parking is available off-campus at the U Square complex on Calhoun Street and other neighboring lots.
For directions to CCM Village, visit ccm.uc.edu/about/directions.
CCM Season Presenting Sponsor: The Otto M. Budig Family Foundation
Mainstage Season Production Sponsor: Macy’s
Opera Department Sponsor: Mr. & Mrs. Edward S. Rosenthal
Opera Production Sponsor: Genevieve Smith