NUNCRACKERS: THE NUNSENSE CHRISTMAS MUSICAL is the first TV Special taped by the sisters in their convent basement studio for Cable Access. It stars the nuns you know and love from the original Nunsense musicals plus Father Virgil and some of Mt. Saint Helen’s most talented students.
It features all new songs including: Twelve Days Prior to Christmas, Santa Ain’t Comin’ To Our House, We Three Kings of Orient Are Us, and It’s Better to Give Than To Receive. This show is filled with Nunsense humor, some of your favorite carols and an uproarious take on Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Ballet. NUNCRACKERS will make you laugh and maybe tug at your heartstrings. It’s the perfect way to ensure your holiday season is merry and bright.
Lakeview United Church of Christ (8639 Columbia Rd, Maineville, OH 45039
Sunday, September 10th (2-6pm). Email LumosPlayers@gmail.com for an audition time.
You will be sent the audition forms – please complete before you audition.
*Walk-ins will be taken, but will be worked around scheduled auditions- so there may be a longer wait.*
Rehearsals will begin on Sunday, Sept. 17th. Rehearsals will be Sundays (2-6pm) Thursdays (6:30-9pm) at Lakeview UCC.
There will be four performances: December 8 (7:30pm), December 9 (2:30pm & 7:30pm) and December 10 (2:30pm) at Lakeview UCC.
Auditions will include a cold reading from the script, a short choreography routine and a vocal audition. For the vocal audition: please prepare 16-32 bars of a musical theater piece in the style of the show. Please bring an accompaniment track or your own accompanist as there will NOT be one provided (but there is a piano). We will also be checking your range during this time.
Cast of characters- Female
- Reverend Mother Mary Regina (Mother Superior of the Little Sisters of Hoboken) tries to be strict and keep order, but things often get out of her control. She grew up in a circus family and her “showbiz” background and sense of humor always shine through her attempt at creating a tough exterior. (Irish Brogue accent)
- Sister Mary Hubert (Mistress of Novices) is second in command to Mother Superior. She wanted to be a nun all her life and at times finds it difficult to deal with problems she firmly believes are created by Mother Superior’s ineptness. She is very practical. She and Mother Superior have a healthy and humorous rivalry.
- Sister Robert Anne (streetwise nun from Brooklyn, New York) is one tough cookie but has a heart and soul of gold. She feels she has real theatrical potential and is constantly frustrated by Reverend Mother’s refusal to let her “star” in the show. (Brooklyn accent)
- Sister Mary Paul (aka Amnesia, nun who lost her memory) was hit on the head with a crucifix and for a long period didn’t remember who she was. Now, everyone knows she is Sister Mary Paul, a country singer who jump-started her recoding career as the first nun to appear at the Grand Ole Opry. Even though she has her memory back, she always seems to be a “little vacant” but innocently endearing.
- Sister Mary Leo (novice in the first three shows who wants to be a ballerina) now has her black veil. She is very excited to be in the Christmas show because Reverend Mother has allowed her to dance in the Nutcracker Ballet. Sister Leo has dedicated her life to becoming the first famous nun ballerina.
- Sister Mary Wilhelm is the Convent Nurse. Before entering the convent she had appeared in some Beach Blanket movies and personally knows Frankie Avalon.
- Sister Mary Luke (Also a teacher at Mount Saint Helen’s) is grateful that Reverend Mother has allowed her to participate in the festivities.
- Sister Mary Celeste (a new novice) has recently entered the Little Sisters of Hoboken Convent.
- Father Virgil Manly Trott (Sister Mary Leo’s “real-life” brother) is a Franciscan Father of Fort Wayne and grew up in the Mississippi Delta where he and his sister were part of the Trott Family Singers. He now has his own radio show, and the sisters invited him to participate in the Christmas program because they knew he could give them pointers on presenting a good show.
- Brother Brendan Joseph is a teacher at Mount St. Helen’s School and is thrilled to be part of the “Nuncrackers” cast.
- Sister Julia, Child of God is the notorious Convent Cook who, in the original “Nunsense” show, was responsible for the accidental poisoning of fifty-two sisters when she served some tainted vichyssoise soup. (Will be a Male Actor impersonating Julia Child.)
Children’s Roles (Ages 8 yrs and older) – All the Children’s roles sing and have choreography – most have spoken lines. Louise, Maria, Frannie, Margaret, John, Billy, Ronald & Jimmy.
Email LumosPlayers@gmail.com with any questions or to schedule an audition time.