CenterStage Players and director Fred Hunt announce the auditions for CONEY ISLAND CHRISTMAS.
Pulitzer Prize winner Donald Margulies weaves together nostalgia, music and merriment for our annual holiday show for people of all ages and all faiths. CONEY ISLAND CHRISTMAS, based on the story “The Loudest Voice” by Grace Paley, introduces us to Shirley Abramowitz, a young Jewish girl who (much to her immigrant parents’ exasperation) is cast as Jesus in the school’s Christmas pageant. As Shirley, now much older, recounts the memorable story to her great-granddaughter, the play captures a timeless and universal tale of what it means to be an American during the holidays.
Audition location: Lockland High School Auditorium, 249 W. Forrer Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45215 (park in lot and enter Door #10)
Audition dates: Tuesday, September 19th (6PM-8PM) and Thursday, September 21st (6PM-8PM) – Callbacks TBD (if needed)
Auditionees can email the headshot to the director if available – not required.
No appointments are required. Auditions will be held in approximate order of arrival.
Rehearsals begin October 23rd, which is date of the first meeting and script read-through.
Production Dates: December 7-10, 2017 (7:30PM THU/FRI/SAT and 2PM SAT/SUN)
Characters and Stage Ages (NO roles have been pre-cast):
- Shirley Abramowitz – Stage Age 90+ (we can make you look older!) – Modern day Great-grandmother
- Mr. & Mrs. Abramowitz – Young Shirley’s Jewish parents (Approx. Age 35-50)
- Mr. Hilton – Drama teacher (Approx. Age 25-35)
- Miss Glace – Music teacher with a French accent (Approx. Age 25-35 – ability to play the piano is a plus)
- Mrs. Kornblum/Teacher/Coney Island Workers – Roles with a few lines (great for those starting or returning to the stage)
Students (Casting Grade 3 and Older):
- Young Shirley – Age 12 – Jewish girl with “the loudest voice”
- Clara – Shirley’s great-granddaughter (Approx. Age 12)
- Additional speaking roles for 7 other male and female students
MANY additional speaking and non-speaking roles for pageant members (Approx. Age Grades 3-12)
For questions or information, contact the director, Fred Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513.266.6755.