Northern Kentucky Community Theater Announces Auditions for HORIZONS OF GOLD, a New Musical
Book by Beth Kenniv
Music by Jeff Smith and James Kenniv
Lyrics by Dave Thompson and Beth Kenniv
Produced and Directed by Benjamin & Kaitlyn Iocco
Music Direction by Benjamin Price
Vocal Direction by Jeff Smith
Choreography by the Dance Center Choreographers
Rose is a young Mexican migrant, abandoned and lost in turbulent 1930s California. She clings to Margaret Thomas, a Kansas farmwife displaced by the Dust Bowl. Together they grieve a lost family and search for home and healing in the midst of unrelenting hardships. Could John Bollen, the generous wheat farmer down the road, be a savior for them both? A powerful journey of the heart unfolds for three people who find their lives intertwined, each desperate to heal the past and embrace a new future.
Performances: August 24-26th
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 7:30 PM
Saturday at 2 PM
Location: Anderson Center Theater
7850 Five Mile Road, Anderson Township, OH 45230
- Friday, May 5th, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Saturday, May 6th, 2 PM – 5 PM
Location: Union Baptist Church
1985 Mt Zion Rd, Union, KY 41091
ALL AGES AND ETHNICITIES WELCOME
Those auditioning are encouraged to sign up for a time slot. Those who arrive without an appointment will be seen during the next available slot. Sign up for an audition time slot here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080c4eacac2ba2f49-auditions
Callbacks: Monday, May 8th, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Rehearsals: Beginning Saturday, June 3rd
Tuesday and Thursday Evenings
Saturday Mornings and Afternoons
Most cast members will be needed for at least 1-2 rehearsals per week. We will take conflicts into account. No conflicts will be accepted after August 20th. A complete rehearsal schedule will be distributed after the show is cast.
- 16-32 bars of a musical theater or Gospel song in the style of the show that best showcases your vocal and acting ability. Please bring sheet music in the correct key with your cuts marked. An accompanist will be provided.
- You may be asked to stay for the dance portion of the audition. Please dress appropriately.
- You may be asked to read from the script.
- Resume listing theatrical experience is appreciated; headshot/picture is REQUIRED.
- Please also bring a completed audition form and a list of known conflicts for June through August. No conflicts will be accepted after August 20th.
- You can visit www.horizonsofgold.com for more information about the show and to familiarize yourself with the music.
- We require a participation fee of $40 per cast member.
- You do not have to be the actual age(s) of the character(s) you are auditioning for, just be able to look and act accordingly.
- Some roles may double.
If you have any questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1200251940092217/
- Rose (early 20s): a Mexican migrant, a survivor; loyal, passionate. Vocal range: mezzo soprano with belt – A3-E5
- Margaret Thomas (late 40s): a farmwife; steadfast, determined. Vocal range: alto/mezzo soprano – A3-C#5
- John Bollen (late 30s-early 40s): a prosperous farmer; rugged, tender, heroic. Vocal range: high baritone – B2-G4
- Lawrence Thomas (mid 40s): Margaret’s brother-in-law, a businessman; unscrupulous; introduced I-10 – may double. No solo singing.
- Edward Thomas (early 50s): Margaret’s husband; stubborn, defeated, good; I-1, I-2 only – may double. No solo singing.
- William Thomas (early 20s): Margaret’s older son; responsible; I-1, I-2, I-3 only – may double. Any voice type.
- Charlie Thomas (20): Margaret’s younger son; fun-loving; I-1, I-2, I-3 only – may double. Any voice type.
- Opal (18-20): Charlie’s girl; sweet, sincere; 18-20; I-2, I-3, I-4 only – may double. Any voice type.
- Pearl (20): Nettie’s sister; motherly, caring; introduced I-7. Vocal Range: Alto
- Nettie (14-18): Pearl’s sister; dreamy and dramatic; introduced I-7. Any voice type.
- Alice (20s): farm girl; self-focused, catty; introduced I-8. No solo singing.
- Hank (20s-30s): a good-natured farmhand; introduced I-8 – may double. Part singing.
- Otis & Clarence (20-30s): dim-witted farmhands; good comedic timing needed; introduced I-8 – may double. Part singing.
- An active ensemble of all ages and voice types that includes many individually-featured roles and soloists (Mama & Papa, Foreman, Gospel Quartet, Ethel & Edith, etc.)