Job Title: Graphic Designer
Supervisor: Director of Marketing and Communications
FLSA Status: Full Time, Non-exempt
Prepared By: Director of Human Resources
Prepared Date: 1/19/2017
Approved By: 1/20/2017
The Educational Theatre Association (EdTA) is a professional organization for theatre education with over 100,000 members nationwide. EdTA’s mission is shaping lives through theatre education by: Honoring student achievement in theatre and enriching their theatre education experience; Supporting teachers by providing professional development, networking opportunities, resources, and recognition; and Influencing public opinion that theatre education is essential and builds life skills. EdTA operates the International Thespian Society (ITS), an honorary organization that has inducted more than 2 million theatre students since its founding in 1929.
To support the EdTA’s goals, objectives, and tactics by leading the development and execution of visual concepts and strategies that advance the Association and its related brands among members, key stakeholders, and the general public.
Under the direction of the Director of Marketing and Communications the ideal candidate maintains a creative and strategic perspective. The candidate designs and produces high quality graphic design, art, and copy layouts for material to be presented visually for member information, education, and support; fundraising and sponsor support; and brand-building promotional and institutional collateral materials. The candidate advocates for the Association’s branding standards and guidelines and stays abreast of industry and design trends.
The candidate has proven effectiveness in interacting and collaborating with vendors, other departments, and co-workers, and is flexible and resourceful in managing workflow to ensure deadlines are met. The candidate is able to research and understand needs of projects in order to deliver visuals that enhance messaging and support goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Participates in and, in some cases, leads the development of printed brochures, program books, newsletters, advertisements, web and infographics, and annual report.
- Prioritizes, tracks, handles, and maintains records of the elements, costs, and time schedules of multiple projects.
- Consults with supervisor to evaluate individual project needs.
- Studies relevant resources including photographs and text to plan presentation of material, product, or service.
- Determines size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, selects style and size of type, and creates sample layouts for supervisor and internal clients.
- Obtains cost estimates from outside vendors such as photographers or illustrators, when necessary.
- Prepares cost estimate for project within quality specifications, financial constraints, and time schedule for project.
- Creates finished layout and presents final layout to supervisor or internal client for approval. Prepares final layout for printer. Checks proofs. Reviews quality of final product before release to client.
- Maintains resource files including native files and images.
Required Skills and Competencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have: proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and similar design software applications; experience with website design and layout–HTML and CSS are a plus; proficient with MS Office Suite including: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Word Processing software.
Functional Skills (Required)
- Deadline driven with strong attention to detail.
- Creative with an eye for clean design; attention to color and typography.
- Experience in development of printed collateral and digital graphics
- Experience in pre-press, press checks, and in coordinating with outside vendors, including printing companies.
- Proofreading skills.
Functional Skills (Preferred)
- Experience filming, editing, and posting short-form video for web
- Photography skills
- Familiarity with theater and other performing arts
- Marketing experience
- Experience with a non-profit or membership-based organization
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Job Knowledge – Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision. Demonstrates strong project management skills, including the ability to take initiative and multi-task.
- Use of Technology – Demonstrates required skills; adapts to new technologies; uses technology to increase productivity.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions.
- Organizational Support – Supports organization’s goals and values.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university with concentration in Graphic Design and at least two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Candidates should send a resume and cover letter to HRManager@schooltheatre.org. Reference “EdTA Graphic Designer #12017” in the subject line.
Applications received prior to 2/3/2017, 4pm, will be given priority. No calls, please.