What: HOME By C.J. Johnson, Directed by Piper N. Davis
When: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Where: Evendale Cultural Arts Center, 10500 Reading Road, Evendale, OH 45241
Plot: HOME is an inspirational drama about a family living in chaos. Past demons threaten to destroy their home and everyone is hanging on by a thread. They are troubled on every side until a heavenly kind of love empowers them to take control of their own destinies. Delight when a tragedy meant to destroy the family creates a happy ever after that is more precious than anyone ever imagined.
Roles Available: 3 women, 3 men (and understudies)
- Naomi Grimes: early-50s. An assertive, African American, Christian, female. Naomi is a loving mother who strives hard to follow God’s principles in her life. She’s a divorced survivor of domestic violence and the mother of Desmond Grimes.
- Vanilla Parks: early-30s. An outspoken, African American female who uses her sexuality to get what she wants out of life. She’s a bit of a gold digger and the much younger sister (an “oops” baby) of Naomi Grimes.
- Desmond Grimes: late-20s. Handsome, African American male who believes that a man rules his nest. Desmond’s an ex-soldier who is battling demons from his childhood and war. He’s the son of Naomi and husband of Ruth Grimes.
- Ruth Grimes: early-20s. All Ethnicities. A plain-Jane born outside of the United States of America. Ruth comes from a dysfunctional family. She unhappy with her home life and is the mother of a newborn son and the wife of Desmond Grimes.
- Craig Green: early-30s. All Ethnicities. He’s the neighbor of Naomi and Vanilla. Craig’s a bit of a country bumpkin. He lives a simple-life and loves the great outdoors. He sees himself as the neighborhood guardian.
- Brother Goodman: mid-40s. A caring, African American man who donates his time at the church and works at the VA as a counselor. Goodman openly admits his past flaws. He has a brotherly affection for Naomi.
Rehearsal: Rehearsals begin the week of May 15, 2017. Will generally be weekday evenings and weekend mornings/afternoons.
Performance: HOME will be performed at Princeton High School in Matthews Auditorium, 150 Viking Way, Cincinnati, OH 45426, Saturday, June 10 at 2:00pm.
Auditions: Please prepare a one-minute monologue. And be prepared to cold read from the script.
Contact: To schedule an audition slot, please email a headshot and resume to Lauren Carr at Lauren.Carr@fuse.net.
Note: There will be a stipend paid to all performers, including understudies.