Job Title: Interim Managing Editor, Publications
Supervisor: Director of Publications, Editor in Chief
FLSA Status: Temporary, non-exempt
Prepared By: HR Director
Prepared Date: 12/14/2016
Approved By: Director of Publications, Editor in Chief
Approved Date: 12/14/2016
The Educational Theatre Association (EdTA) is a professional organization for theatre education with over 100,000 members nationwide. EdTA’s mission is shaping lives through theatre education by: Honoring student achievement in theatre and enriching their theatre education experience; Supporting teachers by providing professional development, networking opportunities, resources, and recognition; and Influencing public opinion that theatre education is essential and builds life skills. EdTA operates the International Thespian Society (ITS), an honorary organization that has inducted more than 2 million theatre students since its founding in 1929.
EdTA seeks an experienced professional for a short-term engagement to commence in January 2017 and conclude in May 2017. The Managing Editor partners with the Editor in Chief to plan, direct, and coordinate activities of editorial and other staff engaged in preparing written material for print or electronic publication by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees the publication process. Assigns editorial resources.
- Coordinates activities of design, editorial, and production departments.
- Oversees workflow of projects to completion within specified budgets and deadlines.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in publishing methods and systems.
- Operates within the confines of organizationally established methods and systems.
- Confers with authors and editors regarding budget, background information, objectives, audience level, and style.
- Prioritizes, tracks, handles, and maintains records of the elements, costs, and time schedules of multiple projects. Assists in preparing and managing the department budget.
- Works within the context of standard editing procedures and house style. Traffic and inspect proofs for accuracy.
- Selects, supervises, obtains cost estimates from, and pays invoices of outside vendors such as freelance editors, packagers, proofreaders, and indexers.
- Contribute to editorial meetings, including content ideas for multiple platforms; work with internal staff and freelancers to maximize editorial opportunities.
Directly supervises the production of Dramatics and Teaching Theatre magazines. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, directing work and resolving problems.
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget.
- Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university and five years of relevant experience; or eight to 10 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language and Computer Skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret articles and journals. Ability to write articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and the MS Office Suite.
Candidates should send a resume and cover letter to: HRManager@schooltheatre.org. No calls, please. Preference giving to applications received by 12/27/2016.
Educational Theatre Association
home of the International Thespian Society
2343 Auburn Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45219-2815