The Drama Workshop will hold auditions for THE MURDER ROOM, a comedic play by Jack Sharkey. Darren Lee is the director and Elaine Volker is the producer.
- Session 1: Saturday April 29, 2023. 12-2pm
- Session 2: Monday May 1, 2023. 6:30-8:30pm
The doors will open 30 minutes prior to auditions.
Performance dates: The show runs 3 weekends from July 28 – Aug 13, 2023. There are a total of 10 performances. Friday 8pm, Saturday 8pm, Sunday 2pm each weekend, with a Thursday 730pm performance the final weekend.
Where: All auditions will be held at the Glenmore Playhouse, 3716 Glenmore Avenue, 45211.
What: THE MURDER ROOM information: Murder has never been this funny! This show is a delightful mix of Agatha Christie and Monty Python. Two days after their wedding Edgar discovers that Mavis – a nasty piece of work – is being unfaithful. After her first attempt to kill him by poisoning his cocoa, Mavis resorts to shooting him and then returning to her lover. Chaos and complications reign when it transpires that the shots were blanks and that Edgar’s body has vanished. Now it’s up to Lottie the maid and Police Constable Howard to solve the crime before Edgar’s daughter and her fiance meet a similar fate.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
This play requires deft comedic timing and the ability to play silly very seriously. Actors of all races, backgrounds, genders, and experience levels are encouraged to audition.
Please bring a headshot and resume. All cast members are required to be up to date with covid-19 vaccinations if cast. Bring conflicts from May – Aug.
Character descriptions (and stage ages):
- Edgar Hollister (40 – 60) – a somewhat befuddled member of the landed gentry
- Mavis Hollister (30 – 40) – Edgar’s very recent bride; a bit of a vamp
- Lottie Malloy (55 – 70) – the wise-cracking housekeeper
- James Crandall (35 – 50) – an inspector of police; stolid and reserved
- Abel Howard (40 – 60) – an intelligent police constable (NOTE: Edgar and Abel are played by the same actor)
- Susan Hollister (20 – 25) – Edgar’s daughter; a ditzy chatterbox
- Barry Draper (20 – 30) – Susan’s fiancé; an all-American kind of guy.
All characters except Barry Draper will require a British accent. A dialect coach will be available.
For more information or a copy of the script, please email Elaine Volker at firstname.lastname@example.org.