Mariemont Players, Inc. is pleased to announce auditions for our July production, Ain’t Misbehavin’, a musical revue by Murray Horwitz and Richard Maltby, Jr., directed by Elizabeth Leigh Taylor and produced by Pat Kramer and Derek Snow.
Sunday, February 19th, 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. and Monday, February 20th, 7:00 – 10:00 p.m.
Please sign up for a time slot here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A094FA8AB2AA7FD0-mariemont
Location: Mariemont Players, 4101 Walton Creek Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45227
Audition Requirements: Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script, a vocal audition, and a movement portion.
- This is an ethnic-specific production. All actors must be African-American.
- Please prepare a song to sing for 32 measures in musical theater style. An accompanist will be provided.
- Please bring sheet music, clearly marked for your audition cut.
- You will be asked to learn a dance combination. Please wear clothes and shoes you are comfortable moving in.
- Ability to read music is strongly preferred.
- Minimum age to Audition is 18+
- Headshot and resume are appreciated but are not required.
Please contact the director at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or accommodation needs.
Callbacks: If necessary, callbacks will be held on Tuesday, February 21 from 7:00 – 10:00 p.m.
Synopsis: “Ain’t Misbehavin,'” is a musical revue with a book by Murray Horwitz and Richard Maltby, Jr., and music by various composers and lyricists as arranged and orchestrated by Luther Henderson. It is named after the song by Fats Waller (with Harry Brooks and Andy Razaf), “Ain’t Misbehavin.'”
The musical is a tribute to the black musicians of the 1920s and 1930s who were part of the Harlem Renaissance, an era of growing creativity, cultural awareness, and ethnic pride, and takes its title from the 1929 Waller song “Ain’t Misbehavin.'” It was a time when Manhattan nightclubs like the Cotton Club and the Savoy Ballroom were the playgrounds of high society and Lenox Avenue dives were filled with piano players banging out the new beat known as swing. Five performers present an evening of rowdy, raunchy, and humorous songs that encapsulate the various moods of the era and reflect Waller’s view of life as a journey meant for pleasure and play.
Actors/Performers (3 women, 2 men):
- Female, Soprano (Age: 25 to 45) A voluptuous, sassy woman, very strong-willed; not afraid to share her thoughts.
- Female, Mezzo (Age: 18 to 25) A sweet, young lady. Very innocent.
- Female, Alto (Age: 30 to 45) Confident and charming. A knowledgeable woman of the world.
- Male, Tenor (Age: 25 to 45) An unrepentant party hound. A flirt and a bit of a womanizer.
- Male, Baritone (Age: 25 to 45) Jovial, cheerful, and loud. Larger than life.
Each auditionee will be individually contacted by the producer before a cast list is posted.
Rehearsal times: Rehearsals will begin May 22, 2023 and take place weeknights, 4-5 times a week with the schedule to be posted after the cast announcement.
- Thursday, July 13 – 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 14 – 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 15 – 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, July 16 – 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, July 20 – 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 21 – 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 22 – 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, July 23 – 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, July 27 – 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 28 – 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 29 – 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, July 30 – 2:00 p.m.