Director: Nicholas Brown
Assistant Director: Chris Koonce
Stage Manager: Alexandra Lander
Producers: Kathy Brown, Abby James
Choreographer: Anna Brown
Vocal Director: TBD
Auditions dates: October 11th and 12th, 2021 6:00PM to 9:00PM at SORG Opera House, 63 S Main St, Middletown, OH 45044.
Callbacks on October 13th, 2021.
Tech Week: January 9th – 12th, 2022.
Show dates: January 13th – 16th, 2022.
Rehearsal times: Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday 6:00PM – 9:00PM.
Please come prepared with a Broadway style song. We may ask you to read an excerpt from the show. A resume and headshot are preferred. There will not be a dance routine at the initial audition. Please review the audition form below and bring one filled out.
Audition Form: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ynh22f45i87s6ywwEUjXzPuThYeCExep/edit
Additionally, please use the Sign Up Genius link to assign yourself an audition time: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0A48AFAA2AA6FB6-innova
For any questions about auditions, please email the director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Callbacks will be to assess dance ability and hear you sing songs from the show. If you cannot attend callbacks, let us know so we can work around it.
Come to auditions with a list of conflicts and the production team will do our best to work with your conflicts. Tech Week and all performances are mandatory attendance.
“An eclectic group of six mid-pubescents vie for the spelling championship of a lifetime. While candidly disclosing hilarious and touching stories from their home lives, the tweens spell their way through a series of (potentially made-up) words, hoping never to hear the soul-crushing, pout-inducing, life un-affirming “ding” of the bell that signals a spelling mistake. Six spellers enter; one speller leaves! At least the losers get a juice box.” -MTIShows
Character descriptions – All roles will be cast 18+. The child roles are meant to be played by adults.
- Olive Ostrovsky – Soprano/Mezzo – Shy, quiet girl who’s parents are estranged. She is the lead girl in the show. Primarily vocal character, sings powerfully.
- William Barfee – Baritone/Tenor – Touchy, weird, and abrasive. Has extensive medical issues and little social skills. He is the lead boy. Actor should have a good sense of shock comedy. Would like to have a strong dancer.
- Chip Tolentino – Tenor – Last year’s winner, over confident, and girl-crazy. Mix of strong vocals and comedic acting. Actor should be versatile with good comedic timing and improv skills. Doubles as Jesus.
- Logainne Schwartzandgrubenierre – Soprano – Youngest competitor, political, awkward, and has a lisp. She tries to live up to both her dad’s expectations. Belty.
- Leaf Coneybear – Baritone – Aloof, odd, and often viewed as “stupid”. He was chosen to participate after the winner of his district couldn’t attend. Actor should be goofy with comedic timing. Doubles as Logainne’s dad “Carl-dad” (intense, competitive)
- Marcy Park – Soprano/Mezzo – Strict upbringing, multi-talented, catholic school girl. She is held to high expectations. Ability to tumble and a high level of dance preferred.
- Rona Lisa Peretti – Soprano – The moderator. Caring and relates to the students as a previous winner. She loves the spelling bee. Very Strong singer, needs a good sense of improv. Doubles as Olive’s Mom.
- Douglas Panch – Spoken – A principal, does not care about spelling. He does not like the kids and is more interested in vying for Rona’s love (not relayed). Actor should have a good amount of improv ability, as you will be announcing the bee.
- Mitch Mahoney – Tenor – “Comfort counselor” for those who are eliminated. He is an ex-convict. Should be rough around the edges. Strong vocalist. Doubles as Logainne’s dad “Dan Dad” (motherly) and Olive’s Dad