3dx Scenic is looking for an experienced Scenic Artist to join our team and execute scenic finishes for a wide range of theme park, museum, and corporate projects in our Cincinnati fabrication shop.
An excellent candidate must be well-versed in theatrical and display paint methodologies and procedures and be able to work with a team of professionals of different disciplines to achieve the best results. The ideal candidate will have an analytical mind, great organizational skills, a critical eye for details and aesthetics, and a desire to contribute to the success of the team and organization.
The goal will be to ensure all projects exceed client expectations while closely following project specifications.
- Prepare various types of surfaces (wood, steel, dibond, fiberglass, etc) for painting.
- Execution of all scenic treatments using HVLP spray guns, brushes, rollers, sponges, etc for both interior and exterior conditions
- Assist in the creation of paint samples and touch-up kits
- Mix and match paints, varnishes, lacquers, shellacs, stains, tints, and other coatings and finishes.
- Refinish and restore previously painted projects
- Assist in maintaining all scenic records (color cards, process sheets, recipes, labels, etc)
- Maintain the safety, order, and cleanliness of all paint areas and equipment
- Maintain strict quality control on a schedule
- Work under the direction of the Charge Artist and with other team members in a collaborative shop environment
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience with theatrical and display scenic practices and products
- Strong knowledge of faux finishing, 3D textures, sculpting, stenciling, color mixing and matching, layout, and scaling.
- Prior experience in a professional theatrical scene shop, event fabrication facility or equivalent
- Proficiency with standard shop power tools and HVLP spray guns
- Work from design renders and reference photos
- Work on multiple projects concurrently with little supervision
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work overtime with advanced notice and occasionally travel on installations to complete paint treatments
- Basic Scenic Carpentry
- Digital Sculpting
- Automotive Paint Experience
- Vinyl Graphic Application
This position is active and requires standing for 6-8 hours a day, talking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crawling, and climbing. Employees are regularly required to hear and talk. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus. This position is in a large fabrication shop, where the employee will be exposed to noise, moving mechanical parts, and fumes and airborne particles. Participation in the Respiratory Protection Program and all other Safety and PPE Programs is mandatory.
Position Details & Salary Information
- Full time
- $18-20/hour, with overtime after 40 hours
- Generous benefits package, 401K, & PTO
- Typical schedule is Monday-Friday, 7am-4pm
- Cover Letter
- Examples of Relevant Work and/or a Digital Portfolio
- Alternatives to a digital portfolio can be a link to a website, a social media account that predominantly contains relevant work, or a shared platform (such as a Google folder).
Please complete the application on our website, https://gowithlive.com/careers.
About 3dx Scenic
3dx Scenic is a LIVE! Technologies company, located in Cincinnati, OH. From brand ambiance and activations, and business theatre and events, to custom entertainment attractions, we build another dimension. We are engineers and riggers, carpenters and welders, artists, and storytellers, and together, we use the disciplines of old school craftsmanship forged with novel technologies and our own knowhow, to produce something uncommonly authentic. We create scenic experiences that reflect and express the imagery of our client’s brand. From performance spaces to television broadcast sets, from corporate environments and intricate trade show booths to world-class attractions, whatever your surroundings, we build the scenery around it.
The 4,800 square foot Paint Shop is located in a 45,000 square foot production building that also includes Fabrication, CNC, 3d Printing & Sculpting, Automation, Technical Design, & AV. Our Print Shop, Composites Shop, and Design Studio are in separate buildings a short drive away. The Paint Shop is currently staffed with a Charge Artist and 4 Scenic Artists, and we are looking to expand our full time staff, as well as overhire artists.