EQUALITY PRODUCTIONS announces the auditions for THE REVOLUTIONISTS by Lauren Gunderson. Four beautiful badass women lose their heads in this irreverent, girl-powered comedy set during the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror. This grand and dream-tweaked play is about violence and legacy, art and activism, feminism and terrorism, compatriots and chosen sisters, and how we actually go about changing the world.
Four Female-Identifying Roles Available:
- OLYMPE de GOUGES— 30s-50s. Badass activist playwright and feminist. Theatre nerd, excitable, passionate, a showman. Widowed and never remarried to ensure her personal freedom.
- CHARLOTTE CORDAY—20s-30s. Badass country girl and assassin. Very serious, hardened by righteousness, never been kissed.
- MARIE ANTOINETTE—30s-50s. Less badass but fascinating former queen of France. Bubbly, graceful, opinionated, totally unaware, unintentionally rude, and oddly prescient. Never had a real friend.
- MARIANNE ANGELLE—20-40s. A badass black woman in Paris. She is from the Caribbean, a free woman, a spy working with her husband, Vincent. Tough, classy, vigilant. The sanest one of them all.
Equality Productions encourages submissions from artists with a broad range of backgrounds, including all races, ethnicities, abilities, sexual identities, ages, and gender/gender identities.
Non-union. This production will be done as a fundraiser and therefore these roles will not be paid. All rehearsals will take place online in a Zoom format. The show will be recorded and released in late August.
Cast members’ minimum technical requirements include:
- A computer, smartphone, or tablet with a working microphone and camera that can be used without a headset
- A stable high-speed internet connection (https://www.speedtest.net/) and the ability to connect your device directly via ethernet cable, and
- A quiet space with good/controllable lighting to rehearse and record.
Auditions are on Monday, July 6th, and Tuesday, July 7th from 7-10 pm EST each night via Zoom (Zoom link on audition sign up page). Sign up for your audition no later than Sunday, July 5th at 5 pm EST at https://tinyurl.com/y94u5snt
Actors are asked to prepare sides for their character(s) of choice. These sides can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/yay8j8nr
Please email these items to Lana Sugarman, the director, at email@example.com, no later than 5 pm EST on Sunday, July 5th.
- Your headshot (file name should be first_last_hs – e.g., Mary Jones HS)
- Your theatre resume (file name should be first_last_resume – e.g. Mary Jones Resume)
- Which role(s) you’d like to read for; if more than one list them in order of preference, and,
- Which rehearsal dates and times you can NOT attend from July 12th to August 30th (weekday evenings from 7-10 pm, Saturdays from 10 am – 6 pm and Sunday from noon – 9 pm).
Rehearsals will take place 4-5 times per week from mid-July to mid/late August on weekday nights and weekends or during weekdays depending on the actors’ availability.. Actors will be responsible for their costumes, hair, props, and makeup. The director will assist if needed.