Show Title: The Art of Dining By: Tina Howe
Director: Laura Berkemeier
Synopsis: Cal and Ellen are the owners and sole staff of a small, elegant gourmet restaurant. Cal’s main preoccupation is paying back the $75,000 it cost to start it up, and that means packing in the customers. Chef Ellen is preoccupied with the food’s quality and stopping Cal from sampling the ingredients. The diners act out their own private dramas over dinner and their conversations are exquisite burlesques of contemporary attitudes. There’s a sensual middle aged couple who go into paroxysms of ecstasy just reading the menu and then there’s three crass chic young career women. Finally, there’s Elizabeth, a maladroit, shy and neurotic writer who’s dining with her prospective publisher. Her actions and conversation are unintentionally hilarious and a delicious example of how not to act and what not to talk about while dining.
Auditions: Monday, February 10 at 7pm, Wednesday, February 12 at 7pm,
Thursday, February 13 at 7pm – call backs if needed. Auditions will be held at the Walton Creek Theatre at 4101 Walton Creek Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45227. Please reserve your time via this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090D44AFAB2FA2FE3-theart
Audition Requirements: If available, bring headshot and resume. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
Rehearsal times: Times will be finalized based on actor availability, however, the likely schedule will be rehearsals on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 7pm-9:30pm at the Walton Creek Theatre. Rehearsals would begin on March 30th. Actors must be available for photos on April 5th at 7pm and for the entirety of Tech week which will be Sunday, May 3rd through opening on Friday, May 8th.
Production Dates: Friday, May 8th @ 8pm, Saturday, May 9th @ 8pm, Sunday, May 10th @ 2pm, Thursday, May 14th @ 7:30pm, Friday, May 15th @ 8pm, Saturday, May 16th @ 8pm, Sunday, May 17th @ 2pm and 7pm, Thursday, May 21st @ 7:30pm, Friday, May 22nd @ 8pm, Saturday, May 23rd @ 3pm and 8pm, Sunday, May 24th @ 2pm.
Description of Characters: 3m, 6f
- ELLEN – co-owner and chef extraordinaire of The Golden Carrousel, mid 30’s.
- CAL – co-owner and supple head waiter of The Golden Carrousel, Ellen’s husband, mid 30’s.
- HANNAH GALT – beautifully dressed and hungry, mid to late 40’s.
- PAUL GALT – beautifully dressed and hungrier, mid to late 40’s.
- ELIZABETH BARROW COLT – exceedingly shy and nearsighted. A writer, in her early 30’s, afraid of food.
- HERRICK SIMMONS – enthusiastic and a good eater, early 30’s.
- NESSA VOX – easily upset and a more neurotic eater, early 30’s.
- TONY STASSIO – perpetually on a diet and miserable, early 30’s.
- DAVID OSSLOW – the head of his own publishing company, successful, at ease, son and husband of good cooks, mid 50’s and in top shape.