The Drama Workshop will hold open auditions for its summer production of Nana’s Naughty Knickers at 7:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 24 and Monday, February 25 at The Glenmore Playhouse, 3716 Glenmore Ave., Cheviot, Ohio, 45211. The doors will open at 6:30 p.m.
Nana’s Naughty Knickers is a slick comedy by a new playwright, Katy DiSavino. The dialog is crisp and funny, and the action fast-paced. Critics have said that the play “flows in a perfect rhythm, and hits every high and low note of comedy” and that “the show is so entertaining and laugh-out-loud funny from beginning to end, that it is hard to tell if the audience or the cast is having the most fun.”
Judy Berrens will direct the play which revolves around new law-student Bridget and her grandmother, who are about to become roommates in Nana’s rent-controlled New York City apartment. However, it seems Nana is running an illegal boutique from the apartment, selling handmade knickers to every senior citizen in the five-borough area! Will Bridget be able to handle all the excitement? Will her nana get arrested – or worse – evicted?
The age range of the characters in the play is quite broad, including leading roles for senior citizens as well as those in their 20s and 30s. There are roles for five women and four men. The ages listed below are “stage ages”. Actors do not have to be the character’s age.
- SYLVIA CHARLES – In her early 80s, living like she’s in her early 20s. The mastermind behind Saucy Slips, Etc., and the proud tenant of a rent controlled apartment.
- VERA WALTERS – Sylvia’s aged accomplice: equipped with two hearing aids and a collapsible walker.
- BRIDGET CHARLES – Sylvia’s unsuspecting, 20-something, soon-to-be-law-student granddaughter.
- TOM O’GRADY – The newest cop on the force, happily assigned the beat where Sylvia’s apartment is.
- GIL SCHMIDT – The landlord, overly eager to rid himself of his aged tenants. 60s.
- HEATHER VAN PREE – Employee of Saucy Lips, looking for better opportunities, a modeling career, or just her boxes.
- CLAIR – The big client. Mid 60’s
- VOICE – The man at the front desk
- UPS MAN – Cute and a little lonely.
- OTHER UPS MAN
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. Please bring a resume and a headshot.
Performances are Aug. 9-25.