PRELUDE TO A KISS is a romantic comedy with a twist. We are guided by our narrator Peter as he meets Rita at a party and is enthralled. We see them get to know each in a rushed whirlwind romance leading to a wedding after only a few months. At the wedding, a mysterious old man requests a kiss from the bride and she is happy to oblige. On their honeymoon, Peter starts to notice that something’s not quite right. The wedding kiss caused Rita’s soul and the old man’s to change places. Peter must track down the old man and free his young love’s spirit trapped in an aging and diseased body before it’s too late. At the same time, he realizes that he loves who Rita is, no matter how she is packaged.
Sun, Jan. 13 from 1-5pm
Jewish Community Center of Greater Dayton
525 Versailles Dr, Centerville, Ohio 45459
Mon, Jan. 14 from 6:30-9:30pm
Miamisburg Branch Library
35 S 5th St, Miamisburg, Ohio 45342
Directed by Michael Schumacher
Production Stage Manager: Jamison Meyer
- Peter- (late20s to late30s) Intelligent, witty, slightly awkward man looking for love, never leaves the stage
- Rita- (mid20s to late30s) clever, anxious, funny, “afraid of life,” embodied by the spirit of the old man
- Old Man- (60+) Widower coming to the end of his life, embodied by the spirit of Rita
- Taylor- (mid20s to mid 40s) Peter’s sarcastic best friend
- Dr. Boyle- (40+) Rita’s father a jovial dentist
- Mrs. Boyle- (40+) Rita’s mother, caring and bubbly
- Tom- (any age) bartender, works with Rita
- Leah- (30+) old man’s daughter, worried about him
- Aunt Dorothy- (30+) Rita’s aunt
- Uncle Fred- (30+) Rita’s uncle
- Jamaican waiter- any age
- Minister- any age
There is a possibility of dual role casting for some characters and some roles may be gender flexible.
Performances will be at The Baum Opera House in Miamisburg, OH in March 2019.