Theatrical Events Supervisor
Level – Experienced
Job Location – Memorial Hall – Cincinnati, OH
Position Type – Full Time
Education Level – 2 Year Degree
Memorial Hall is a 556-seat performance and event venue located across from Washington Park and directly south of Cincinnati Music Hall. The structure, built in 1908 as a memorial to war veterans and owned by Hamilton County, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2015, 3CDC entered an agreement with Hamilton County and the Cincinnati Memorial Hall Society to renovate the building, bringing much-needed upgrades. Today, Memorial Hall hosts more than 300 events annually, ranging from performing arts, themed parties and cinema to third-party receptions, weddings and award ceremonies.
The Memorial Hall Theatrical Events Supervisor is tasked to oversee the initiation, development and execution of theatrical third-party theatrical events at Memorial Hall, as well as execution of Memorial Hall and partner events. Additionally, the Memorial Hall Events Supervisor will field incoming theatrical rental inquiries and manage bar and concessions inventory in the facility. Reporting to the Memorial Hall Manager, with oversight from the Senior Events Production Manager and Customer Service Manager, he/she will work directly with their administrative colleagues and event staff to plan and execute third-party theatrical events, and to execute Memorial Hall and partner theatrical events, making sure the delivery is held to the 3CDC standard. This position is responsible for comprehensive planning and execution of events on site; including (but not limited to) distributing rental information, taking clients on tours of the facility, building rental estimate and event planning documents, receiving and tracking payments, managing staff levels in accordance with the needs of the space, developing and facilitating daily event setups, ensuring events are properly executed, and developing the overall team to be flexible and manage events of various sizes.
It is projected that approximately 50% of the Memorial Hall Event Supervisor’s time will be allocated to administrative responsibilities, and 50% to the on-site execution of events. This is a general metric; the Theatrical Event Supervisor’s overall workload will ebb and flow with the calendar of events.
- Receive and reply to event inquiries within 24 hours (or as soon as possible for weekend inquiries) and in a courteous manner, promptly sending rental information and checking availability. Re-route non-theatrical rental inquiries to the Memorial Hall Event Supervisor and to the Memorial Hall Manager, as needed.
- Maintain accurate records of rental inquiries and produce periodic reports on inquiry data.
- Take clients on tours of Memorial Hall.
- Assist the Memorial Hall Manager in maintenance of the Memorial Hall calendar.
- Build and manage event rental estimates. Build rental contracts and accept and track payments and certificates of insurance.
- Build and manage other event paperwork, including layouts, nightly concessions and operations checklists.
- Manage Memorial Hall by focusing on exceeding patrons’ expectations for customer service, quality and cleanliness.
- Working with the Memorial Hall Box Office Manager to implement ticketing and seating for events.
- Work with third-party clients and partners to exceed their expectations for the same.
- Working and coordinating with event staff and volunteers to convey the needs for third-party and assigned events.
- Oversee event setup, operation, teardown, and post event cleanup to ensure quick and efficient turns between events.
- Conduct pre-shift meetings each work day to ensure onsite staff and volunteers know the goals and key points of each event.
- Provide on-the-job coaching of the operations and customer service representatives and report accurate feedback on all event staff to the Senior Events Production
- Manager and Customer Service Manager.
Coordinate with technical staff to ensure smooth execution of event production elements.
- Continue onsite training to staff on all event related tasks; POS, cash handling, bar tending, pre/post event cleaning checklists, and all other event tasks related specifically to Memorial Hall.
- Take ownership of beverage service delivery, from what selections we offer to how we deliver the product to the consumer.
- Maintain inventory by accurately tracking the procurement, receipt, and reconciliation of all beverage, beverage supplies, and event equipment.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with 3CDC community partners and event stakeholders such as police, sponsors, performers and third-party event organizers. Assist the Memorial Hall manager in generating rental business from among these parties.
- Under the guidance of the Memorial Hall Manager, plan and execute events designed to generate rental business for Memorial Hall.
- Continually evaluate onsite safety measures, as well as conduct immediate and complete reporting of all liability issues, including maintaining an incident report log.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by his or her immediate supervisor and other management as required.
Qualifications, skill and/or specialized knowledge:
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related degree program is preferred.
- Relevant event management and/or facility management experience required.
One to two years’ experience managing staff.
- Stage management, venue management, and/or technical production experience required.
- Must have a valid state-issued driver’s license with a current address and acceptable driving record.
- Willing to work frequent weekends and holidays, and to adapt work schedule to accommodate the events calendar.
- Ability to work well under stress.
- Personable, positive, and enthusiastic attitude with capability to deal effectively with people (both internal and external).
- Ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing.
- Excellent organizational skills, work habits, and consistent follow-through.
- Must be able to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality.